General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Kubota RTV 900

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kubota RTV 900

Hi Folks,
I just joined the forum and was interested in your opinion of the Kubota RTV 900. I currently own a 2002 Grizzly 660 that was used for hunting and plowing snow. I let someone barrow it and it was returned with a damaged frame. I have the chance to buy a 2005 Kubota RTV 900 from a dealer with 28 hrs. on the motor and in next to new condition with every option available including Camo and matching heated cab, stereo/cd, work lights f/b. The only thing I will purchase is a plow with hyd. angle . I have heard so many thing's about these, some good some bad I'm not sure what to think.

Hunt4racks

Old 05-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Trailblazer
Default Kubota RTV 900

Don't own one, but have researched the RTV to death. In my opinion the RTV has superior engineering, and is one tough workhorse. However, they do not appear to have the suspension nor power for recreational use. Especially at higher altitudes the performance is lacking. There were problems with the driveshaft becoming sloppy and noisy. This said, for your uses, unless you live above, say 5000', a Kubota may be a good unit. Just don't expect it to have anywhere near the performance of your Grizzly. Myself, holding off for the Honda Big Red. It should be more a combination of recreation and work machine, with a real transmission, no belt, fuel injection, etc.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kubota RTV 900

Hi Nuke,
Thanks for your input on the Kubota. I was thinking the same think. I was worried about the performance in the woods and what kind of power it would have plowing snow. You would think a three cyl. diesel would have plenty of power. Reading what RTV owners have said it's a split decision. Some love them and others wish they had never bought one. Living in snow belt country I some times plow to get out of my drive way and again to get into my hunting spot.

Hunt4racks

Old 06-04-2008, 05:23 AM
rv
Pro Rider
Default Kubota RTV 900

i drove one 4 a week and found it to bee a fun machine not to speedy or light but enough power ,did fine in the bush. if its like any other kabota product its top notch,will last for ever ! i think it would kick any of these toy makers *** when it comes to quality,tough *** hell kaboya has a low maintenance product imo.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kubota RTV 900

i've owned an rtv for about 8 monts, around 180 hours currently.

it's not exactly a thrilling machine but it is a stout little thing and will absolutely do what it's intended to do. i've loaded 1800+lbs of concrete in the bed of mine and treked it around our ranch, hauled & dumped 40+ loads of dirt into areas our tractors cant reach, towed seed spreaders through the muddiest of fields and basically just tried to beat this thing up and it keeps going. i'm a believer in kubota and have not been let down by this sturdy little machine. it wont travel 40 mph and it wont do burnouts or donuts, but it will work like heck and ask for more. money well spent IMO

the ONLY complaint i can put out there is that the shifter/transmission is a hassle at times when the machine is not fully warm. trying to shift into reverse to back out of the shop or shift into a forward gear (etc) can be a pain if the fluid isn't fully warmed up. but then again, i've never been on an a/utv that the shifting was all that smooth either.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:08 PM
rv
Pro Rider
Default Kubota RTV 900

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 2boots

i've owned an rtv for about 8 monts, around 180 hours currently.

it's not exactly a thrilling machine but it is a stout little thing and will absolutely do what it's intended to do. i've loaded 1800+lbs of concrete in the bed of mine and treked it around our ranch, hauled & dumped 40+ loads of dirt into areas our tractors cant reach, towed seed spreaders through the muddiest of fields and basically just tried to beat this thing up and it keeps going. i'm a believer in kubota and have not been let down by this sturdy little machine. it wont travel 40 mph and it wont do burnouts or donuts, but it will work like heck and ask for more. money well spent IMO

hey boots the one i was useing of my causins would do burn outs on the gravle easly and it seemed to travle maxed out at just over 55km/h whitch is close to 40 mph if i needed a sxs i would buy one also, i used to clear snow and land scape with a kabota 6500 tractor years a go and it was tough as nails this tractor was driven buy several other employees and i couldnt bielive the **** a abuse it would handle !it was impressive how well it started in the cold[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

the ONLY complaint i can put out there is that the shifter/transmission is a hassle at times when the machine is not fully warm. trying to shift into reverse to back out of the shop or shift into a forward gear (etc) can be a pain if the fluid isn't fully warmed up. but then again, i've never been on an a/utv that the shifting was all that smooth either.</end quote></div>

Old 06-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kubota RTV 900

I looked at one at my tractor dealers shop,and they are well made,my only concern is the weight,and the ability to become stuck.Kubota builds some good stuff(I have a 4x4 tractor).I don't think it was concieved to compete with a Ranger or Rhino.As for as the Big Red by Honda,if they don't get the tranny fixed, I wouldn't think about it.It uses the same oil for the engine as well as the tranny,has to warm up before you can move it.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kubota RTV 900

I rode in a Kubota this weekend,and it did real well. I think its mostly for a farm or ranch! Stay out of real mud.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kubota RTV 900

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: rv

hey boots the one i was useing of my causins would do burn outs on the gravle easly and it seemed to travle maxed out at just over 55km/h whitch is close to 40 mph if i needed a sxs i would buy one also, i used to clear snow and land scape with a kabota 6500 tractor years a go and it was tough as nails this tractor was driven buy several other employees and i couldnt bielive the **** a abuse it would handle !it was impressive how well it started in the cold[img][/img]
</end quote></div></end quote></div>

Well, mine has never failed to start in cold(er) weather....i say that because i realize i'm in east tx and colder weather to us is around 20*f...so may not be comparable to others cold weather...but either way....the point i was making is that the throttling of the pedal of my RTV to get it to spin is quite extreme whereas most other gas powered A/Utvs is pretty light...it's a diesel workhorse before anything else....most others that i've had experience with were a ATV before a UTV if you get what i mean...i love this machine to death because i use it for what it was intended for...just didnt want to unfairly say it was anything it wasnt.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kubota RTV 900

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: pwillie

I rode in a Kubota this weekend,and it did real well. I think its mostly for a farm or ranch! Stay out of real mud.</end quote></div>

along the lines of my aforementioned post;

given "real mud"

I've yet to get my RTV stuck....and believe me, i've tried

as far as i can tell, it takes a lot of trying to get any atv/utv stuck.....

point proven, i hooked my RTV up to a 16' trailer with some t-posts, 4x6 wooden fence posts and some concrete and drove it thru and out of a wet muddy field to set fence posts and run fence line for a solid days work; it never got stuck and never ceased to pull the trailer....point being, i'm nothing but sure there are limitations to the machine but at the same time....there's limits to everything...if you buy a 2k lbs diesel powered utv to go do some serious mudding, you should probably reconsider your priorities...it's all relative. as i keep saying, it does what it is intended to do and beyond...it's not a miracle worker.......consider your needs and consider what applies to them. it's as simple as that.

Quick Reply: Kubota RTV 900