General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

John Deere Gator Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default John Deere Gator Question

I have a John Deere Gator HPX 4x4 gas engine I was given a year ago. I have not had any issues with it until this year. I used it yesterday and took it on a short trip. After I had crossed the second creek it began to act like it had no power.

Engine was running and revving up but machine would not go anywhere. If you let off the gas and paused a few seconds then it would go again. I am not familiar with this particular machine but I believe the drive belt is slipping.

If anyone here is familiar with this machine I would appreciate your input as well as how to check or replace the drive belt.

Thanks in advance

Swampy

Old 05-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

Little update here.....

Seems the clutch cover housing, which is plastic, has a drain hole in the bottom that is supposed to have a plug in it. Hole is about 1 inch in size. Guess the plug fell out some place so water now comes and goes at will. Causing the belt to slip until it drains and dries off.

So I think I need to replace that plug and the belt.

SJ

Old 05-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If u replace the belt , Keep the old one with u for a back up!! You never know when you'll need it.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

Fixed the problem. I found a plug to fill the hole that can be easily removed when needed and installed it. I also replaced the belt and cleaned the driven and drive pulley faces as they had this black goo burnt onto them. I also cleaned a whole mess of black powder residue out of the clutch/pulley and she is back up and working hard. The pause on take off is all but gone I will also start using LOW range anytime I am carrying a load like you are supposed to do with an ATV. Just glad to have the gator back doing what it was made for WORK! It is definitely no speed demon.

I did hang onto the old belt for now in case I need it but it was pretty tattered so I will probably order another new one and throw it away. New one is $32 and can be replaced in about 30minutes with a single wrench to remove the belt housing.

SJ