General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

sunL slgk 650 utv clutch/tranny help needed

Old 07-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sunL slgk 650 utv clutch/tranny help needed

Have a SunL 650 4x4 UTV.

Has run fine since X-mas xcept for a minor overheating issue. This model is a 4 speed manual. Last week while going up a hill something sounded strange but had to continue going up a hill. it sounded like it was grinding and after getting to top of hill it would not go into any gear except reverse. Since I was only 150 yards from my shop I put it in reverse and drove on. The engine still runs and sounds fine but the grinding resumes when you put it n gear but it wont move.

Cant seem to find a place to buy a clutch assembly or throwout bearing. If I cant find the parts would it be feasable to replace the tranny with an automatic to bypass this problem n the future.

Thanks for you help in advance.
Eric

Old 07-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Trailblazer

I pulled the transmission from the utv, the tranny has the letters dz on the casing in two places, if anyone knoows about this tranny please let me know.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer
Default Pics of the tranny

I tore into the tranny, what I found is upsetting beyond all belief. It seems that when the trans was assembled a x-tra bolt found its way into the casing and it finaly found an angle to reach the gears and busted the gear between the transmission gears and the transfer gears. Also the casing is destroyed in this area, even with a new gear assembly I do not believe it can be rebuilt. I will attach the pictures of the transmission.

I have been talking with the parts department and they are saying that the transmission in the SUNL SLGK 650 is not covered under waranty and that the best they could do is get me parts at there cost. well hell its probaly gonna cost a fortune to buy a new casing and gear assembly.

I have requested that they review the pics and do the right thing so we will see what happens.
check out the pics at photobucket, the pics with captions are what i sent to the parts dept

Pictures by muttdawg61 - Photobucket

Thanks,
Eric

Replies would be helpfull, I am pretty mechanicaly inclined but transmissions have always confused me.thanks

Old 08-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default might be some help

I have the sunL 650-b2 that i'm working on the same thing. I found the gear online and it was 34.95. I need some help also I need to know if the rear driveshaft is the same as mine? If you can put a tape on it that would help me alot. Give me a call 409-550-0276 and see if i can help you out. That gear is not that hard to change and talk you thru it on the phone are something.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:16 AM
Trailblazer
Default wherd you find the tranny gear?

Where did you find the gear? I have talked with and been aggravated by every china parts dealer I have found. Every one tells me Im gonna have to replace the whole tranny, but here is catch number one---you cant buy the tranny without the engine at a cost of aprox 1500.00, catch number two this engine is listed as out of stock!!!! It figures tho, I finaly get pissed of enuf to just pay the 1500.00 out of pocket thinking well at least I will have extra parts if I ever need them and nobdy can find one to sell me.
boy o boy

should have just built me a buggy from scratch, which i will probally do if this goes on much more.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey man I found the part on motosportsparts.com. Go to the utv then type slu-650 middled axle assy in the search bar. The part is 34.95 I got it in a few days.
Your case was busted up a little more then mine was but I think you can make it work out ok. If there is anything else just let me know. Also have you been able to pull your spark plugs out? I can't find a socket thin eough to get in there. If so maybe you can tell me were you bought the socket at. Thank and hope the info helps you out.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Trailblazer
Default Spark plug wrench

No I guess I just got lucky, no special socket required. I have another question tho-did your middle axle assembly gear protrude thru your "bellhousing" as mine did in the pictures?

Also I still havnt got you those measurments of the drive line I have had a rough time witha few surgeries and havnt made it out to the shop in a couple weeks for any lenght of time.

Thanks again,
Eric

Old 08-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes mine was hitting the presure plate so hard that the motor would not turn over. Not sure if you could tell on yours, but the pin on the gear set's flush with the outside of the housing and you just silocone around and over it. Also there is a hole for the pin to set in on the housing. The pin didn't make that big hole there was one there. You may be able to tell not sure just letting you know.

Also don't worry about the measurements I bought a new one already. Hope you get to moveing around soon.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:28 AM
Trailblazer
Default Mid axle assembly gear

I thought that hole was awfuly perfect for it to be busted thru by the gear, I also noticed some silione remnants around the hole. What kind of silicone did you use to reseal yours?

After looking at the gear available that you told me about I know where the bolt came from that was floating in my gear oil, it was the head of the bolt thaty is supposed to be on the rear of the middle axle assembly, that son of a gun broke off.

Yeah that gear was also hitting my pressure plate it caused no real damage excetpt for rounding a few angles off the bolts holding the plate on the clutch. Mine would still start and when I released the clutch the clanking sound I was hearing I now know was the mid axle gear shaft hitting the pressure plate.

Thanks for the tip on where to get the gear I have talked to numerous china parts dealers that wouldnt even try to help me but these were extremley courteous people and nice to talk with.

I havr=e to leave town for a few days but gear should be here when I get back, I may have to talk with you again as I do not know which way the gear sets in the grove.

Thanks again,
Eric

Old 08-25-2009, 08:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

I used the blue rtv from O'Reilly's it work great. My was not broke as bad as yours and that gear sets in there flush and has a little cut out on the back were the bolt is that just sets in there and makes the front flush then sung up that little bolt. Also something to look out for when puting the transmission back together the forks on top make sure they line up right. I didn't have the 4 wheel fork line up and had to brake the thing apart again. If you need any more help you can call me also I left my number in the other message. Hope it all works out for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sunL slgk 650 utv clutch/tranny help needed