General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Trail width discussion for SxS

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One small correction: Fishlake National Forest 2950 miles OHV roads/trails - 508 restricted to 50". That's about 17.2%.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:00 AM
Dune Rider
Which one of you is Pink?

While making all these trail adjustments,
is it not also relevant that trailer manufacturers
make trailers/toy-Haulers tall and wide enough at the same time?
I'm sorry to bring up another Elephant in the room but really shouldn't we
consider all the angles?

Old 11-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Dune Rider
Which one of you is Pink?

then at some point hi-way restrictions will require modification and watch out for low clearance

Old 11-25-2014, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah< I assume you are talking about enclosed trailers. But there are some issues with open trailers as well. For example, ATV's are getting wider and longer, and I think trailers need to expand to be able to haul at a minimum of 4 machines. That identifies my biggest complaint, especially with the alluminum trailer guys. Most have been real reluctant to put heavier axles and brakes on all wheels on their larger trailers. Build something that is a minimum of 24 ft long so you can get 4, maybe 5 ATV's on it, or a SxS and a couple ATV's on it and give us the load capacity to go with it. I want a Deckover like that, but you are forcing me to buy either a car hauler or a trailer made for heavy equipment. I know you make what I want for Snomobiles, all I need is heavier axles and I'd be golden. A 22 ft trailer will haul a minimum of 6 ATV's. At 700 lbs each, that is 4200 lbs, way over your typical load rating. As for toyhaulers, I agree with you, I may have a tall door opening but when you put that stupid bed that goes up into the ceiling, there goes my head room. And at a minimum, should be 7 ft clearspan. 6'6" just doesn't cut it. I have special ordered mine. I have a 7'6" tall door. But paid $14,700 for it. And it was an empty trailer. No cabinets nothing. So you get what you pay for. The ceiling height on my trailer is 8ft. For a total height of just under 11 ft tall.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:58 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

It took some work, but I could get three full size atv's in my toy hauler. Just enough room I could slide them around sideways. Like DB said, the lengths have gotten longer and I probably couldn't do it with a new one. And they probably weigh more and I feel like pushing extra weight around a lot less now.

I don't think an sxs, even at 50" would have fit between the wheel wells. Can't remember the exact width, but would also have to worry about hitting the beds/couches even with them folded up.

I have seen wider and longer toy haulers with more space, but they were out of my price range and 5th wheel trailers. Can't afford to get a truck, trailer and sxs all at the same time. Not without hitting the lottery.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

I have a small 22 ft Raptor Toyhauler that I have never used. I can get 3 inside. Already decided I'd like to have the 384 model with two porches, but the weight on that unit is insane. More than my current Diesel is rated for. Oh it could pull it, but the guys at the weight scales would have a cow. And since it is paid for, I am not in the market to get another payment pushing $1000. to buy it. I am at the crossroads where after the big 60, I am not as young as I once was, and the thought of struggling to get a toy unstuck from boot sucking mud, or spending hours cleaning it... just doesn't appeal to me. If I could recoup what I owe today, I think I'd sell it all and "retire".

Old 11-25-2014, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

Scooter, I may have to explain a little. I have two trailers.. well actually 3 in my driveway right now. A 101"x10' aluminum open snowmobile trailer, a 22 ft very tall custom designed enclosed that I bought for a business I was starting with 8 ft tall inside, and a 22 ft raptor Toyhauler.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:03 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I hear you on the recouping the money.

I haven't used our toyhauler in over 2 years now. Then it was just for a camper. Hate to sell it for half of what I paid for it. If I'm lucky.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Toy haulers have always been out of my price range. I don't really go on extended riding trips anymore anyway. If i go anywhere, its usually for the day and I'm back home. I don't even own a trailer of any kind anymore. I'm pondering the thought of buying a small enclosed trailer used to haul by quad in that would double as storage as well. But I'm talking about spending maybe $1500 for something like a 6x10 model. As far as trailers being too tall, I don't think anyone has to worry about that since highways and interstates have to accomodate semi-trailers so the minimum clearance is usually at least 14 ft for overpasses and bridges. On some rural roads it is less but that is very rare anymore.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

Not really. In Washington DC, on the main HW through the city, they have one that is 11'9". Which I can barely fit under. So there are overpasses much lower all over the place. Hindsight being 20/20, I'd have bought an open car hauler with a steel or aluminum deck. I'd have side riggers on it that take it to 101" wide so I can get two ATV's side x side on the deck, and long enough to get two ATV's and a side by side on it. That would be at least an 18 ft. I could pull it behind my truck, or a motorhome. I could also haul a car or jeep etc. For the cost of an RV or a Toy hauler, I can rent a lot of hotel rooms, cabins etc. More than I would ever need. So it is crazy to think about one actually. Maybe with retirement looming, I am getting smarter in my old age.

Quick Reply: Trail width discussion for SxS