General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Need help deciding newbie to side x sides

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help deciding newbie to side x sides

The wife's given me permission to get a side by side after the first of the year but I need help deciding which one.

I'm new to side by sides but have been riding ATV's most of my life 30+ years and I'm coming from a 2004 V-Force that I bought new and have pretty much worn out.

I'm trying to decide from one of the following three machines. All 2 seat models.

Artic Cat Wildcat X EPS
Polaris RZR XP 1000 EPS
Can-Am Maverick X RS DPS

Can anyone give me some pros and cons of each of these and which one would be the best durability wise ect. I will mainly be riding wide open trails so width isn't a big factor.

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Range Rover

I'm in the market too and have similar questions so sorry I can't help but maybe a free bump back to the top might get you (and me) more responses.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Well to be honest, I am ready to pull the trigger on a CanAm, Probably the Maverick, but I am still on the fence. I have an aversion to anything made by Polaris, but that is personal experience from 30 years ago with snowmobiles and not based on anything current. And just about the same can be said about anything made by Kawi and Zuki. I do however like the CanAm and the new Yamaha Viking. The thing that has me on teh fence is the parts breakage on the CanAms. I am trying deperately to find out if some of the horror stories I am hearing are true. I have a son who works at a dealer for both Yamaha and Can-Am and he says to stay away from them because of problems with stuff breaking all the time. Now given, according to him, they are super fast and people tend to treat them roughly, and a large amount of breakage is attributed to abusive treatment, but I don't know. I really like the Viking but it is pretty wide and many trail systems have not upgraded to accomodate that width. Supposedly Hatfield McCoy has started accepting all makes, but well they are wide. They are tanks with proven systems though, and I tend to use them around the house more than outright pleasure riding and the Viking is the clear winner there.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider

Pros & Cons ...

Arctic Cat. Best suspension, best center of gravity. Poorest in reliability. Better know how to change belts with an Arctic Cat. The Wildcat tends to go through belts faster than the other brands.

Polaris. The best all around package in my opinion. Lots of squeaks and rattles, but all of these machines are that way.

Can Am. Good power. Most comfortable cockpit. Over engineered with too many electronic nannys, throttle controls, and over complicated three stage power steering.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

I bought a used Rhino 450 and it's great. Has plenty of power for towing logs, fun on trails and pretty stable. I've had it a year with no issues.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Sounds like the perfect machine for you. There are so many accessories for the Rhinos. It is too bad people are not still looking at them as a possible purchase.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

Personally , if I was in the market for a megabore SxS, I'd go with the new maverick ds turbo. I like the reliability of the Rotax engine and can am took all the necessary steps to ensure it stays that way even with forced induction. I'd go can am, turbo or not