General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

UTV fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default UTV fuel economy

Just curious here if anyone has bothered to check there fuel economy on their UTV's. Just curious how many miles to expect from a tank of fuel. I know it all depends on the terrain and how hard you push your machine, but just thought it might be interesting to see what others get as far as some sort of mileage out of there machines. No need for an exact number to the nearest tenth of a mile just an idea of how many miles you go on how many gallons of fuel.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried to Google it myself but couldn't really find out. Claimed fuel economy on Polaris Ranger 570 is about 20 mpg so I would guess about the same or a little better for your 450i. I did find out the top speed of the 450i is 48 mph in case you were wondering. That's close to what a Yamaha Viking or Ranger 570 top out at, both right around 50 mph.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:24 AM
Pro Rider

Yea, thanks but was hoping to find someone that had actually kept track, which by the way I am doing this current tank of fuel. I know it will show some low numbers this time around as it is still fairly cold in my area and I do let it warm up some before taking off. According to my speedo the rev limiter kicks in at 49 mph, but will check that with my gps when the weather gets better. I also have a windshield on there now that may be holding back a tiny bit of speed. In any case, top speed is not an issue with me, no way am I going to be running at wot for any periods of time, engines just do not like that unless you have a 2 stroke. Around the trails I only avg about 10-15 mph at best and on the road about 30 or so. Just hoping to stir up a little interest in what others are getting as far as miles per tank of fuel, I did do a check on my fuel gage in another post so I at least know when I am getting low and how low.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Around 20 mpg seems to be about average for most utvs of similar displacement. That large 8.5 gallon tank will get you a long way, that's for sure. If you ever went on a really long ride running out of fuel shouldn't be a concern. Out west there are a lot of really long loops of 100 miles or more in Colorado and you'd easily be able to complete one of those without having to bring extra fuel. It seems the 443cc engine in the 450i is well suited for the machine and is a good performer. Some claim that it actually keeps pace with the 700i up until about 30-35 mph then the 700i starts to pull away. That's pretty impressive since its giving up about 250cc to the 700i. Not to mention several thousand dollars less as well. From what I've seen so far, I think its the best machine in its price range. The Ranger ETX and Honda Pioneer 500 are really the only other machines of similar power and price and the Kymco outperforms either of them.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Well that is about 20/30% less than my ATV...about right for a machine weighing almost twice as much as the ATV. I did look at both the Pioneer and the Polaris, I did not care for the shifter on the Honda and that it lacked a dump bed. The Polaris was a larger machine and I preferred the slightly smaller unit and I was not real impressed with the Polaris build quality when checking things like welds and fits of parts. I know Polaris sells a ton of machines but on all these different forums they seem to be the mfg with the most questions/problems being ask. The fact that the local dealer for both these models can be a real pain in the a$$ to deal with. Because they are the biggest they tend to think you should bow down to them. They do NOT allow any test rides of their machines which killed any deal right at the start.
As I mentioned I emptied my tank and then filled with 2 gallon increments until it was full so after this tank I will have a real good idea of the fuel economy. Thanks for the info, as it turns out it was about what I had guessed it might be.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I guess the point is that with a much larger fuel tank than any atv, utvs can go a lot farther on a full tank. I can't imagine not being able to buy something without test riding it first. My local dealer, which is a Kawasaki and Arctic Cat dealer, will let you test ride anything. Granted its in an large paved parking lot(building used to be our old Walmart) but nothing compares to seat time.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

Yes that's true, didn't think of that, the fuel economy may be less on the UTV but almost 3 times the fuel capacity. That local big dealer has a small paved parking lot that if the pressure gets real big you can putt around it for a minute, but for the most part it only shows you it starts and idles. The place I bought mine from has an actual test area, out in a large field with some small hills, some mud where you can get going. I probably rode for 15 minutes or more and tried out all the different drive positions (L-H-4wd-lock) and even some rough terrain. That in itself was a big selling point!! They then brought the machines back and cleaned them off and ready for the next person.