General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

BRP Recalls 2016 Can-Am Defenders

Old 01-24-2017, 02:22 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default BRP Recalls 2016 Can-Am Defenders

It seems as though we are hearing a lot about Side-by-Side recalls of late and BRP is the latest to make the list.

This recall involves model year 2016 Can-Am Defender, Defender DPS, and Defender XT model side-by-side off-road vehicles:

BRP Recalls Several 2016 Can-Am Defender Models - ATVConnection.com

Old 01-24-2017, 11:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just read this and it sounded like it was written by someone who has no idea what a utv is. Quote, "The vehicles were sold in various colors and have four tires, two seats and a cargo box on the back. “Can-am” is printed on the side of the cargo box and the model name is printed on the side of the front of the vehicle beside the headlight." Call up Captain Obvious. That has to be the most ridiculous description I have ever read. By the way, if you do have one, its for the transmission apparently still allowing the defender to roll while in the park position, to save you from reading the rest of it. Though they do make it sound like owners are so dumb that they will die if it rolls a couple feet. This is why a manual parking brake should still be offered on every atv and utv built. Park is nice but a parking brake is just added security and is more convenient to use on the trail. I use my parking brake often when riding. If I come to a stop on unlevel ground, I set the parking brake so it doesn't roll away. Mine doesn't have park though, the parking brake is the only means I have to keep it from rolling.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:32 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My new Can Am Outlander came with a parking brake. It is a stay link on the left handbrake lever. Clamp the brakes tight and lock the link.

Funny a UTV wouldn't have something similar. Park brakes are not that expensive. Maybe it does have a park brake but if you don't use it, the Park position may not engage properly.

David

Search this Thread