Guns and Ammo, Optics, Accessories Discussions on guns and ammo, optics, and accessories.

Help with new rifle

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help with new rifle

I just checked some ballstics on the .300 and .338 Winchester Mags to see if I made a mistake. I compared 3 loads in each caliber and the .338 had on average just over 400 ft/lbs more energy at the muzzle. I was off a little on that part. I thought it was 500 ft/lbs. Anyway, it still has more power than the .300 at 100 and 200 yards. They're almost tied at 300 yards but the .300 surpasses the .338 at 400 yards. So if most of your shots are over 300 yards the .300 would be better. If most of your shots are under 300 yards the .338 would be better. They're both good but some other calibers from Weatherby and Lazzeroni, etc. would put them both to shame.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree,the Weatherby 30-378 will put all of them in a bottle. My reason of the 300's is if the guy needs a longer shot,the 300 would be good for all situations,long or short. The problem with a round like the Lazzeroni,is trying to buy ammo. Especially if your out of ammo and down in some small town in Texas next to the border,and the 7-11 doesn't stock such goodies.To me a 338 or bigger cal. is like throwing bricks. I like a flat shooting round.AS for as glass, I have several Swarovski scopes,with the big 50x24x6 and the 50x 16x4 ajustble objective lens,and love them, I have never been unhappy seeing my target.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 19TankHead60

Ya, I know, I hear em. I must have had too many beers last Friday saying what I did. The 300 win mag should be a good start for my needs. I have no experience with ranges for riflescopes. I was looking at a 4.5-14x50 or a 3.5-10x40. </end quote></div>

As a rule, don't bother with an objective over 40mm on a 1 inch tube. The best optics guys I've spoken with tell me that a 50mm objective on a 1 inch tube is simply a waste. It won't make the image any better since the 1 inch tube can't transmit any more light.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

Again,Capt. is right! My son got a 1 inch Swarovski,and any thing over the 40mm is a waste. 30 mm tube is the way to go.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

All of the ballistic comparisons make for good conversation however there is still only three things that really count BULLET PLACEMENT, BULLET PLACEMENT, AND BULLET PLACEMENT!!!!! The shooters ability to make an accurate shot with the rifle he is using. Therefor pick a rifle that is comfortable for you to shoot, and shoot it a lot. That being said, if you don't reload ammunition, the cost of buying ammo to practice enough with your rifle may be a consideration. A whitetail buck can be brought down with a well placed 22 rimfire or even a 17HMR (illegally I might add) but it is important to use enough gun. The larger animals you plan to hunt are all well within the limits of the 300 Mag or the 338. Even the 7mm Remington would be good. One thing to remember, as I said practice, practice, practice. All that shooting with the 300 or 338 can take as toll in the shoulder. I would strongly suggest whatever rifle you pick, find a good smith and have a muzzle brake put on if it doesn't come with one.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

I even have a muzzle brake (winchester classic boss system) chambered in 257 weatherby and would not leave home with out it.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Oldman800
as I said practice, practice, practice. All that shooting with the 300 or 338 can take as toll in the shoulder. I would strongly suggest whatever rifle you pick, find a good smith and have a muzzle brake put on if it doesn't come with one.</end quote></div>

People seem to think marksmanship is something inherited or something that once you learn you never forget. It isn't. Yes, some people have a bit more natural talent when it come to shooting but that doesn't replace practice. Marksmanship is a perishable skill. It must be practiced. You have to shoot regularly to be at your best. That doesn't mean sitting at a bench and pounding away at targets either unless you hunt from a bench. Bench shooting is great for sighting in rifles or for accuracy testing of loads and rifles but doesn't really translate to field shooting with the possible exceptions of learning to judge winds and such. You need practice under field conditions using field positions. Shooting from a bench at targets at known distances doesn't translate to shooting from standing or even kneeling positions. Practice using a sling, using natural objects as rests, shooting at targets at different distances.

I'm fortunate that I have a course set up on my farm that allows me to practice that way. I can engage targets from 10 yards to 600 yards. It's really helpful when I have a shooting partner and we set up targets for each other so as we walk through the timber and fields the targets are placed in unknown locations. It helps not only your shooting but your fieldcraft as well.

As for muzzle brakes I don't care for them. Yes they damp down recoil on the big boomer rifles but the noise they produce is atrocious especially for those around you. I use to have a Winchester that had the Boss but got rid of it. It was great for tuning the rifle and it damped recoil a bit but the noise was unacceptable for me. Muzzle brakes are danged loud even wearing good earmuffs. I prefer to concentrate on good recoil pads.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:44 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish I had a place like that to shoot. The range I go to has pistol ranges up to 25 yards and the rifle range is only 100 yards. I was an expert rifleman in the army but I get so little practice that I suck at shooting any gun now. I know I could do better.

I'm not a big fan of muzzle brakes either. They're so loud I scared a cop and she dropped her gun. If you hunt with a gun that has a muzzle brake you need ear protection and so does anyone else near you. One shot can cause permanent hearing loss.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

Muzzle brakes were designed for people that shoot big bang guns. I think they are a most inventive part of recoil protection,if it wasn't so the army would discontinue them.My hearing is excellent, I don't put anyhing in my ears that will cause wax deteriation. My earmuffs work fine at the range,and knowing that my rifle will not knock the stuffing out of me,makes me a better shot. Instinct shooting is a plus if you can master the art.I use it in rifle,pistole and bow hunting.Too each his on.....my Ruger Black Hawk has porting,and is loud,but my hand doesn't get scarred up.I guess its up to the individual who is shooting his firearm. Muzzle brakes or here to stay,especially with the new big rounds.I like the boss system because it serves two purposes,accuracy and recoil.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

As much as I would like to test the accuracy of a Savage I want A SS barrel but not a synthetic stock. I'm pretty sure I'm going with this one http://www.weatherby.com/produ...s/vanguard/sporter_ss. I like that they have a dealer that has a store front on Main St. with inventory. Unlike the Savage dealer. He never retuned my call. And my boss has yet to receive his rifle after months of waiting. And WallyWorld seemed thier usual self last weekend when I wanted to order a rifle. He just handed me the order catalog. If I wanted a Savage I wanted one with the new Accustock. I prefer having some support for maintenance/upgrades since this is my first rifle purchase anyways. I don't count my .22 or 12ga. I'm gonna go by his shop this weekend. I don't know much about Weatherby rifles. But what I've read the last couple hours looks pretty good.

Quick Reply: Help with new rifle