Deer hunting rifles - Page 7 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Old 03-11-2016, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Both my M1A and Remington 700 are .308. I haven't shot a 30-06 so I don't have anything to compare to. But the .308 isn't much. The Remington is sporting a Bell and Carlson stock and new bottom metal so I can use an AI magazine. The gun is set up for long range competition shooting, which is pretty big around here. I can't compete with the big boys and their Accuracy International setups, but it is fun to shoot. Very heavy though. Not a real fun gun to trek up and down mountain sides with. The M1A on the other hand is way more fun to play with. Using iron sights it is pretty darn accurate up to 500 yards. And that is about all I want to shoot when taking a deer. I swap my scope back and forth between the two and it gets deadly accurate then. Didn't get out this year. Too many things rocking at work to get a chance to get away. Maybe next year. Been thinking about an AR in .308 (See the theme) in the near future. Maybe a Larue. WAY more $ than I want to spend though. Plus I am saving for a new 850 Can-am XMR. Mrs DB is looking at a new 650 XMR too. So there goes that idea. She is one up on me on handguns now. So we will see what happens there as well.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:45 PM
Moto Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinCrzyWanaCom View Post
Anyone use a .45 ACP as a defense side arm when hunting in case of an encounter with unwanted predators? I've been considering picking up a new side arm for hunting. I have a .357 revolver for now but I don't like only having 5 shots to make count. Was thinking of a 45 because I figure it has some stopping power behind it and I really like the Sig Sauer P227. Any thoughts?
I don't hunt anymore but I used to carry a Para-Ordnance .45. 15 rounds of +Ps would be a good deterrent for anything I'm likely to come across. I like P-O pistols well enough to buy 3 of them. I have a couple of 20 round mags that I haven't tried out yet but the 15 round mags work great. I think my original 13+1 frame kit is 28 years old. It rattles like a maraca but the frame fits good on my Mech-Tech CCU. All that being said if I wanted a semi-auto for an area with a lot of bears I would get a 10mm Glock because I can't afford a .460 Rowland.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragginbutt View Post
Both my M1A and Remington 700 are .308. I haven't shot a 30-06 so I don't have anything to compare to. But the .308 isn't much. The Remington is sporting a Bell and Carlson stock and new bottom metal so I can use an AI magazine. The gun is set up for long range competition shooting, which is pretty big around here. I can't compete with the big boys and their Accuracy International setups, but it is fun to shoot. Very heavy though. Not a real fun gun to trek up and down mountain sides with. The M1A on the other hand is way more fun to play with. Using iron sights it is pretty darn accurate up to 500 yards. And that is about all I want to shoot when taking a deer. I swap my scope back and forth between the two and it gets deadly accurate then. Didn't get out this year. Too many things rocking at work to get a chance to get away. Maybe next year. Been thinking about an AR in .308 (See the theme) in the near future. Maybe a Larue. WAY more $ than I want to spend though. Plus I am saving for a new 850 Can-am XMR. Mrs DB is looking at a new 650 XMR too. So there goes that idea. She is one up on me on handguns now. So we will see what happens there as well.
One thing I've decided is to not go for anything else that has a different cartridge. Just don't have room for another type of ammo. I got rid of a .380 for that reason and got a similar sized 9mm as I already had other guns in 9mm. I have liked the .308's I've shot. Nice cartridge. Just don't have much need for long range in the parts of New England I hunt. Now if I was out in Wyoming or someplace like that........
Old 03-13-2016, 03:53 AM
Trailblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseHenden View Post
One thing I've decided is to not go for anything else that has a different cartridge. Just don't have room for another type of ammo. I got rid of a .380 for that reason and got a similar sized 9mm as I already had other guns in 9mm. I have liked the .308's I've shot. Nice cartridge. Just don't have much need for long range in the parts of New England I hunt. Now if I was out in Wyoming or someplace like that........
I coudn't agree more about not having room for more types of ammo haha. Between all my shot guns, rifles, and now pistols I'm running out of space quick.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

As for using a .45 as a back up in the field. Ummm, I guess it would depend on what you think you may come across. I don't think I'd use one in bear country. It is a pretty slow round. Your bobcats, wolves etc OK, but a moose or something big like that and you are not going to do much other than make it bleed.