Looking For Info On SKS Rifle - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Ghost Rider 11's Avatar
Trailblazer
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: GrangeVille, Idaho
Posts: 99
Default Looking For Info On SKS Rifle

I was out looking at rifles today, and i came across an SKS rifle, it also has a bayonet on it. I don`t know anything about these rifles at all, so im hoping some of you guy can help me out. Is this a good quality made rifle ?, they wanted 399.00 dollars for it, is that a good price ?. Any information you guys can give me will help. I am thinking about buying it.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-17-2011, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,448
Default

It's a little high but SKS rifles are getting up there in price compared to what they used to be. I generally won't pick up a used SKS if it's over 200 bucks.

They're a rugged and reliable rifle but at 400 bucks I'd save my money and get an AK-47 or AK-74 for a few dollars more. More versatile, detachable magazines etc.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Greer, SC
Posts: 33
Default

I had typed up this long reply with lots of info, then tried to spell check it and got it all erased so to hell with it. LOL. Good rifle, but for $400 it should have a nice scope and/or upgraded stock. The bayonet suggests to me that it's still rocking the original stock and in this case original isn't better since the sks stocks sucked. There's tons of aftermarket for these, and they are a great rifle. Does it have the SKS or AK-47 receiver? You can tell by looking at the clip. If it has a long extension off the front of the clip at the top then it's an SKS receiver. I don't remember if mine was special ordered with the AK receiver or if all the Chinese issue ones have it, but it solves the only major difference between the AK and SKS.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Ghost Rider 11's Avatar
Trailblazer
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: GrangeVille, Idaho
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufrydsc2 View Post
I had typed up this long reply with lots of info, then tried to spell check it and got it all erased so to hell with it. LOL. Good rifle, but for $400 it should have a nice scope and/or upgraded stock. The bayonet suggests to me that it's still rocking the original stock and in this case original isn't better since the sks stocks sucked. There's tons of aftermarket for these, and they are a great rifle. Does it have the SKS or AK-47 receiver? You can tell by looking at the clip. If it has a long extension off the front of the clip at the top then it's an SKS receiver. I don't remember if mine was special ordered with the AK receiver or if all the Chinese issue ones have it, but it solves the only major difference between the AK and SKS.
The SKS i bought is all original except for having the grenade launcher removed and a flash supressor put in its place. Im going to keep this rifle all original, and sometime this summmer i want to buy another one and dress it out the way i want. Right now im working on getting all of the cosmoline off of it and the stock.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Range Rover
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 113
Default

At that price it better be a Russian SKS. They have threaded barrels instead of pinned and the stock is usually laminate wood. There was a paratrooper model that accepted AK-47 mags. Now mostly all you will see are yugos and they should be between 200 and 300 new. I checked ebang.com to see what they were selling for and most of the ones over 300 had no bids unless they were a special model or Russian.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 362
Default

I've had an sks for twenty years and have gotten deer with it. When I got it, I was told to be sure and get one made with machined parts. Most of those available at that time were made with stamped parts. I think you could tell the difference with a close look. A friend of mine who was in Viet Nam told me a story about his platoon slogging across a rice paddy when they come upon the rotting body of a viet cong. Laying in the mud nearby was an sks. One of the guys rinsed the mud out of it, pointed it skyward and pulled the trigger. It fired.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Ghost Rider 11's Avatar
Trailblazer
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: GrangeVille, Idaho
Posts: 99
Default

The SKS is a well built rifle that will take a lot of abuse and still function, The SKS i bought is a Yugo, and its a very well made rifle and i plan on buying another one in the future to customize the way i want it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-30-2011, 04:31 PM
wydglide's Avatar
Trailblazer
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Caryville TN
Posts: 66
Default

the SKS is the 2nd best Commie weapon on the planet in the semi category, the AK-47 is #1 semi or full auto...Ive owned one for no less then 20 years myself

some thing to look for in a SKS,

first thing to look for is a Blade bayonet, this will be a older weapon with a screwed in barrel, the spike bayonets are a newer gun and have a pressed barrel & can not be Grand-fathered....not as good as threaded.

they have a double Gas Chamber recoil that after a few 1000 rounds will carbon up and should be cleaned, most people do not notice they have a cleaning kit in the stock of the gun it's a round trap door on the butt stock, to clean the Stainless Steel sleeved barrel

you can remove the stock 10 shot mag and use a 30 round detachable one, and right out of the crate, like was posted above my gun was dunked in Cosmolene VERY HOT water will remove a lot of it

and last but not least these weapons are nail drivers in the right hands & was used to guard Stalin's grave up unto.....5-10 years ago, if you look for footage of his grave the soldiers are carrying SKS's.......I know some of this info is redundant out dated and boring but for reliability & accuracy as I said when I started only one other Commie gun ever built that will out do it and that's the AK-47.

Note: anything posted in this post should be researched for accuracy......but most if not all is dead on!

PS: yea I was bored
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Ghost Rider 11's Avatar
Trailblazer
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: GrangeVille, Idaho
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydglide View Post
the SKS is the 2nd best Commie weapon on the planet in the semi category, the AK-47 is #1 semi or full auto...Ive owned one for no less then 20 years myself

some thing to look for in a SKS,

first thing to look for is a Blade bayonet, this will be a older weapon with a screwed in barrel, the spike bayonets are a newer gun and have a pressed barrel & can not be Grand-fathered....not as good as threaded.

they have a double Gas Chamber recoil that after a few 1000 rounds will carbon up and should be cleaned, most people do not notice they have a cleaning kit in the stock of the gun it's a round trap door on the butt stock, to clean the Stainless Steel sleeved barrel

you can remove the stock 10 shot mag and use a 30 round detachable one, and right out of the crate, like was posted above my gun was dunked in Cosmolene VERY HOT water will remove a lot of it

and last but not least these weapons are nail drivers in the right hands & was used to guard Stalin's grave up unto.....5-10 years ago, if you look for footage of his grave the soldiers are carrying SKS's.......I know some of this info is redundant out dated and boring but for reliability & accuracy as I said when I started only one other Commie gun ever built that will out do it and that's the AK-47.

Note: anything posted in this post should be researched for accuracy......but most if not all is dead on!

PS: yea I was bored
About half of the information you gave on the SKS is wrong.
The Russians started producing the SKS in 1949, and the first Russian SKS`s made used a spike bayonet. From 1950 on the Russians changed over to the blade bayonet and us it from then on while producing the SKS.

The Russians gave the SKS tooling to the Chinese and in 1956 the Chinese started producing there own SKS`s and they originally used a blade bayonet, but sometime after 1956 they changed over to a spike bayonet and used it until the end of production.

No SKS has a double gas chamber, they use a gas piston, with a short piston extension behind the main gas piston that pushes on the bolt.

The barrels are not stainless steel sleeved, they are chrome lined.

The SKS comes with a fixed ten round magazine, you can get larger 20-30 round magazines, but there all junk and you will have to deal with feed jam problems.

If you get an SKS thats covered in cosmoline, the best way to remove it from the metal is to remove the stock and get a container and fill it with mineral spirits and use a paint brush to clean all the metal parts.

I have six SKS`s, three Chinese, two Russian, and one Yugo. They are all very good, very well made rifles, and there fun to collect and shoot.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-30-2011, 08:07 PM
wydglide's Avatar
Trailblazer
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Caryville TN
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Rider 11 View Post
About half of the information you gave on the SKS is wrong.
The Russians started producing the SKS in 1949, and the first Russian SKS`s made used a spike bayonet. From 1950 on the Russians changed over to the blade bayonet and us it from then on while producing the SKS.

The Russians gave the SKS tooling to the Chinese and in 1956 the Chinese started producing there own SKS`s and they originally used a blade bayonet, (the older models I was referring to) but sometime after 1956 they changed over to a spike bayonet and used it until the end of production.

No SKS has a double gas chamber, they use a gas piston, with a short piston extension behind the main gas piston that pushes on the bolt. same thing to me, yes it is 2 pistons but yet still a chamber also

The barrels are not stainless steel sleeved, they are chrome lined. Agreed typed in the wrong word

The SKS comes with a fixed ten round magazine, you can get larger 20-30 round magazines, but there all junk and you will have to deal with feed jam problems. Depends on what brand you use..Ive bought some realy crappy ones, others work like Stock

If you get an SKS thats covered in cosmoline, the best way to remove it from the metal is to remove the stock and get a container and fill it with mineral spirits and use a paint brush to clean all the metal parts. this is a personal preference for either one of us, as long as it comes off and you thoroughly clean the weapon its apples and oranges!

I have six SKS`s, three Chinese, two Russian, and one Yugo. They are all very good, very well made rifles, and there fun to collect and shoot.
I have owned several over the years also & I did not post here to start I pizzing contest, their is a few things you did leave out the threaded barrels and pressed or older & newer/cheaper....but as I said ....I was just bored and was posting to have something to do....No More No Less!

how you feel about the accuracy of the SKS?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
highlanger 110 questions info cant find buddieboy Chinese Quads 4 12-09-2016 05:50 PM
sportsman 700 carb model, wrench symbol on startup exmotocrosser Polaris 2 09-26-2015 08:18 AM
Baja 50 chinese ATV NO FIRE woodthings Chinese Quads 4 09-25-2015 05:58 PM
coolster 200 rear swing arm bushings Todd C Wadas 2) Chassis problems.. 0 09-23-2015 11:31 PM
sportsman 600 y-pipe exhaust greg86hd Polaris ATVs - Ask an Expert! 1 09-16-2015 12:32 AM


Tags
2010 , 2011 , 47 , accessories , ak , clips , detachable , differences , gun , information , price , prices , rifle , sks , year


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 PM.