Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

500 rubicon trans problem.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 rubicon trans problem.

Went to go for a ride on my rubicon and the dash indicater lights were flashing for the trans esp d1 and d2 and now the trans will not shift in any mode. It has low gear and reverse only will not up shift in any mode.The owners manuel says to take to dealership if such condtion happens.Any ideas ?

Old 09-16-2003, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

go to Texmudders site. www.ansley.net

He has the reset codes and everything on his home site.

Old 09-16-2003, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Had the same problem with mine, went to my local honda shop and he had to intinialize the computor. The way he did it was, with the key off in nutral, press both shifter bottons at same time, then press top button then lower button then top button. Press throttle wide open, you should hear computor run. Start your machine and try it. Sometimes if you mess with the battery or throtle linkage you might have to set your computor. goodluck. My lights would flash and the trans. wouldn't do anything, had to shut off the bike and start over again. If you have any ques. e-mail me.

Old 09-16-2003, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope this helps.

Rubicon Hondamatic Code Retrieval
1. Put the gear shift lever in neutral (be sure the neutral indicator comes on) and the ignition switch OFF (vehicle at a stop).
2. While pushing the UP and DOWN shift switches (ESP) simultaneously, turn the ignition key to the on position.
3. Release the UP and DOWN switches immediately, then at the same time push both the UP and DOWN shift switches again and hold form more than 2 seconds.
4. The problem code is displayed by a certain number of blinks “ - - “ on the gear indicator, which indicates the problem code by the number of blinks. If “N” (neutral) stays ON on the position indicator, the retrieval process was not correctly performed. Repeat the procedures from step one at this time.)
5. When the problem code(s) displays, release the shift switches.

You should see “ - - “ for approximately 3 seconds then off, then the “ - - “ should flash, once for code one, twice for code two and so on. The engine control module (ECM) can store two different codes. If your ECM has stored two different codes, the first code displayed is the most recent and the second code is the earlier code. Write them down.

To Erase the Problem Codes
1. Push and hold the UP and DOWN shift switches simultaneously for 3 seconds of more while the problem code is being displayed (i.e., “ - - “ blinking on the gear position indictor).
2. When the erasure is completed, the blinking pattern changes to the erasure confirmation blink.
3. Turn the ignition off.

Initial Setting Procedure

Note:
· After replacement of any of the following parts, perform the initial setting procedure below.
- ECM
- Throttle sensor*
- Angle sensor
*Also, perform the initial setting procedure if the throttle cable is disconnected (i.e., car-buretor removal/installation, cable replacement etc.).
· The gear position blinks in Indicator Mode 2 when the initial setting was not made properly. Repeat the procedure from step 2.

1. Start the engine and let it idle about one minute with the sub-transmission in neutral. Stop the engine.
2. Make sure the gearshift lever is in the neutral position (be sure the neutral indicator comes on) and turn the ignition switch off.
3. Turn the ignition switch ON while pushing the UP and DOWN shift switches (ESP shift switches) simultaneously.
4. Release both the UP and DOWN shift switches immediately, then push and release the shift switches in the order of UP, DOWN, and UP. Do not hold the switches in).
5. A constant “ - - “ indication stays ON on the gear selector indicator. (If the gear position indicator shows a continuous “N”, repeat the procedure from step 2.)
6. Move the throttle lever to the fully closed position, then to the fully open position, and then move it to the fully closed position again immediately (within 10 seconds) after “ - - “ comes ON on the gear position indicator.
7. Check the control motor operation sound (the control motor should function at this time to adjust the angle sensor).
8. When the initial setting procedure is complete, the indication on the gear selector indicator changes from the continuous lighting of “ - - “ to the continuous lighting of “N”.

Code 1 - Ignition Pulse Generator system
Code 2 - Speed Sensor System
Code 3 - Gear Position Switch System
Code 4 - Throttle Sensor System
Code 5 - Angle Sensor System (Motor lock i.e., angle sensor, wiring, ECM, control
motor, motor transmission section, transmission unit)
Code 6 - Angle Sensor System (swash plate angle, sensor / wiring)
Code 7 - ESP shift switch system
Code 8 - ECM EEPROM
Code 9 - ECM voltage converter circuit
Code 10 - ECM fail-safe relay circuit
Code 11 - ECM motor drive circuit
Code 12 - ECM CPU

Old 09-17-2003, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the good info.I checked the codes and have a code 10. ecm relay curcit Where should i go from here?

Old 09-18-2003, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Codes 9, 10, 12

Turn the ignition switch OFF and ON and check the gear position indicator.

does not blink - normal, temporary failure, reset using the initial setting procedure.
"- - " blinks retrieve code again

2nd time - you retrieve codes 9, 10, or 12 faulty ECM.

I would personally recommend verifying 12v supply and grounds to ECM before replacement. There are three ground wires from the ECM to the frame, they are green. Dark green, not the light green. There is one ground in the five pin connector and the other two are in the 34 pin connector. The v+, or 12 v supply is the black/green wire. The bl/g 12v supply is in the 34 pin connector.

To check these wires, connect the volt meter neg (black) lead to the neg side of the battery and the pos lead to the ground wires with the key on. Repeat this on all three green ground wires with the connectors connected and KOEO, key on engine off. Use a pin and slide it past the insulation (back probe) of the connector. DO NOT pierce the wires. Write down you readings. The voltmeter should read less than 0.5 volts (1.0 at the maximum, almost un-acceptable).

Do the same on the 12v black/green wire. Connect the neg lead of the meter to the positive side of the battery and the read lead of the voltmeter to the positive pin of the ECM. Key on it should read less than 0.5 volts.

If these readings are less than 0.5v, replace the ECM. If you have a higher reading on the positive side, I would disconnect the carburetor heater and the mode select switch. They are also in the same 12v circuit as the ECM. If either of these two items were shorted, they could cause the same problem as a poor connection.

What you are doing is a voltage drop test to verify the integrity of the circuits while under a load. A volt meter measures the difference of two points.

If you have more questions you are more than welcome to e-mail me at k.lone@att.net I will help if I can. If this exceeds you abilities or tools, you should maybe take it in to the dealer. Most of the time they have a "known good" ECM they can plug in and try without you having to buy one. Let us know the out come.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2001 Honda rubicon not going in gear

I have a 2001 rubicon not going in any of the gears on all modes ESP D1 D2 when you turn the key on it shows N and whatever the mode you select with no flashing and when you when you move the shifter to D2 or D1 it switch to show on the gear position (- -) on the top and D1 D2 ESP on the bottom with no flashing and when you start the bike all these 3 flashing continually and by the way the bike has new angle sensor does anyone been trough this before any advise

Old 05-12-2016, 01:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok so i bought a 04 honda rubicon that lost fire had to replace the cdi and coil only had 1,1xx miles ive got it running now it throw number 6 code (bad angle sensor) reclaced it and it didnt change anything so i checked the wires going to it the ground vhecks good when running im only getting 5.1 volts to the yellow /blue wire and ni volts at all to the yellow/blue and is there a way to vheck the ecm thanks

Old 03-13-2017, 07:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Code 4

Originally Posted by Specta
Hope this helps
Rubicon Hondamatic Code Retrieval
1. Put the gear shift lever in neutral (be sure the neutral indicator comes on) and the ignition switch OFF (vehicle at a stop).
2. While pushing the UP and DOWN shift switches (ESP) simultaneously, turn the ignition key to the on position.
3. Release the UP and DOWN switches immediately, then at the same time push both the UP and DOWN shift switches again and hold form more than 2 seconds.
4. The problem code is displayed by a certain number of blinks “ - - “ on the gear indicator, which indicates the problem code by the number of blinks. If “N” (neutral) stays ON on the position indicator, the retrieval process was not correctly performed. Repeat the procedures from step one at this time.)
5. When the problem code(s) displays, release the shift switches.

You should see “ - - “ for approximately 3 seconds then off, then the “ - - “ should flash, once for code one, twice for code two and so on. The engine control module (ECM) can store two different codes. If your ECM has stored two different codes, the first code displayed is the most recent and the second code is the earlier code. Write them down.

To Erase the Problem Codes
1. Push and hold the UP and DOWN shift switches simultaneously for 3 seconds of more while the problem code is being displayed (i.e., “ - - “ blinking on the gear position indictor).
2. When the erasure is completed, the blinking pattern changes to the erasure confirmation blink.
3. Turn the ignition off.

Initial Setting Procedure

Note:
· After replacement of any of the following parts, perform the initial setting procedure below.
- ECM
- Throttle sensor*
- Angle sensor
*Also, perform the initial setting procedure if the throttle cable is disconnected (i.e., car-buretor removal/installation, cable replacement etc.).
· The gear position blinks in Indicator Mode 2 when the initial setting was not made properly. Repeat the procedure from step 2.

1. Start the engine and let it idle about one minute with the sub-transmission in neutral. Stop the engine.
2. Make sure the gearshift lever is in the neutral position (be sure the neutral indicator comes on) and turn the ignition switch off.
3. Turn the ignition switch ON while pushing the UP and DOWN shift switches (ESP shift switches) simultaneously.
4. Release both the UP and DOWN shift switches immediately, then push and release the shift switches in the order of UP, DOWN, and UP. Do not hold the switches in).
5. A constant “ - - “ indication stays ON on the gear selector indicator. (If the gear position indicator shows a continuous “N”, repeat the procedure from step 2.)
6. Move the throttle lever to the fully closed position, then to the fully open position, and then move it to the fully closed position again immediately (within 10 seconds) after “ - - “ comes ON on the gear position indicator.
7. Check the control motor operation sound (the control motor should function at this time to adjust the angle sensor).
8. When the initial setting procedure is complete, the indication on the gear selector indicator changes from the continuous lighting of “ - - “ to the continuous lighting of “N”.

Code 1 - Ignition Pulse Generator system
Code 2 - Speed Sensor System
Code 3 - Gear Position Switch System
Code 4 - Throttle Sensor System
Code 5 - Angle Sensor System (Motor lock i.e., angle sensor, wiring, ECM, control
motor, motor transmission section, transmission unit)
Code 6 - Angle Sensor System (swash plate angle, sensor / wiring)
Code 7 - ESP shift switch system
Code 8 - ECM EEPROM
Code 9 - ECM voltage converter circuit
Code 10 - ECM fail-safe relay circuit
Code 11 - ECM motor drive circuit
Code 12 - ECM CPU
I'm gettin a code 4 on my 2001 Honda Forman rubicon what do I need to change out?

Old 03-13-2017, 07:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm gettin a code 4 on my 2001 Honda Forman rubicon what do I need to change out

Quick Reply: 500 rubicon trans problem.