Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher Ignition Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 12:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher Won't Start

Hey.

I have an 02 rancher that won't start and could use some help diagnosing the problem. It could be as ewasy as a dead battery, but I don't know. In its current state, the headlights, neutral indicator and accessory outlet don't light up or work. The machine is dead. I jump started it yesterday off of my truck and today it started (real easy) with the pull start. When the engine is running, the headlights, neutral indicator and accesory port work. The lights did dim when I accellerated the RPMs

So, thinking it was a dead battery I pulled the battery and stuck it on the charger. (This is where it gets funny) When I put it on the cahrger, it read that the battery was fully charged?!? I don't think the charger is bad since I bought it new last month.

Is there a way to test the battery with out using the charger? I have an electrical tester, but it doesn't rate 12v batteries.

Do you think there could be a problem with the Ignition Control Module (ICM)?

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-11-2003, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rancher Ignition Problems

have you checked your fuses
sounds to me like you blew the main fuse
yes the lights will light up when running even with a blow fuse

Old 12-12-2003, 12:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

It turns out to be a dead battery.

When I tested it with a 12v battery tester, there wasn't much juice left in the battery. So I stuck the battery on the charger and the d@mn thing charged opposite than what it said in the instructions ?!? So everything is cool.

Thanks for you r response cluby.

Old 12-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Trailblazer

One thing that I learned the hard way is that the battery in the 2002 Ranchers ( I have one) are pathetic when the thermometer drops. They just can't seem to hold a charge for too long when it's cold. This is not uncommon for any battery, of course, but my buddies' Wolverines seem to hold a charge twice as long. I went out and dropped 50 bucks on a battery maintainer. It is a charger that shuts itself off when the battery is topped up and kicks in if the battery voltage drops. It is meant specifically for quads, snowmobiles, motorcycles, etc. When I'm done my ride, I plug it in and no matter how long it is 'til the next ride or how cold has been, I always have a fully charged battery! It is easily worth the money spent and I think it will probably extend my battery life.

Old 12-13-2003, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's not a bad idea. I'm a little concerned about this battery now that it drained out. The charger I got is only a manual charger that you have to pull the plug to turn off. This time of year, my Rancher may sit for months between starts and charger like you have would be great.

Thanks.

Old 12-15-2003, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

Some battery chargers aren't too bright.
Take the battery to most any battery sales store and have them do a test.
Then go and find a cheaper battery that fits the application( I switched to a standard after the OEM battery died) higher cranking amps, but a tad taller, and it's already outlasted the OEM battery.

Old 12-18-2003, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

Well I wouldn't go to a different battery.
The charging system has been made to work with that battery and that one only. I'm no electrical engineer so if you are then go ahead.
It probely won't hurt anything but most altenators are like 300 bucks and have a charging system that is working overly hard (for that bigger battery)

You also need to remeber that the system in any rig is there to mantain a charge not to recharge a battery. That is why they make battery chargers.

I work at a dealer and the most common cause for batteries going bad is not useing them. Buy a battery maintainer, there like 30 bucks they will keep your battery fully charged and you can leave them plugged in. They have a float mode when charged.

The other thing is how to activate a battery.
you should add the acide and let sit (top off if it is a maintians battery and add water to it after it has been charged and needs fluid any thing that you would drink is now what suggested) for a least on hour

Then follow the instruction's
most of them have a quick charge like 10 amps for an hour
the better way is like 2 amps for 6 to 10 hours

Old 01-28-2004, 11:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was reviewing the forum looking for this problem. I am working with my sons Rancher 350 4x4. Dead ignitiion and the meter says the battery is good. Where is the main fuse located on the rancher. I have not dug in yet without doing some research. I have no manual to follow. Can anyone help me???