2- street legal kit
3- tag and atv licence
4- only be ridden by 16 and up

feel free to add onto my list.

Old 05-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why should 4 wheelers be aloud on the roads

This is a bias question...I can see why not on interstates...but in town I wouldn't see the problem..I see street legal dirtbikes ride through town all the time so if quads were street legal then why not??? I know in shelbyville,,where I live..they just made a new law that anyone caught on an atv on the roads will get there license suspended..thats nuts!! At least let quads on country roads..I live in the middle of nowhere and I can't take my quad on the road..but its all for safety reasons and junk...at least you'll save some tread on the tires by not hitting the assphault

Old 05-11-2004, 02:25 PM
Range Rover

what ever u say i will still ride on the road. in texas only thing u will get is a $200 fine, that is kinda weak for the fun i have doing it. i can spend close to that on 1 weekend with the girlfriend. What ever it is i dont care i gota ride to my trails its not worth loading up for a 1 mile ride in the back of my truck.

Old 05-11-2004, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

As long as your not being an A$$ about it and tearing up public roads with a vehicle not meant to be on them, I have no beef with it. I myself will ride along the side of the road to get to trails if I just want to go for a quick spin. Otherwise, it's not a bother for me to run the quad aboard the truck and drive to where the trails are.

Specialyst: .. if you live in New York City where there are no trails and you have no truck or other means to get your quad to trails .. why in god's name do you even have a quad? Get a dual purpose bike that can go on/off road. You're only tearing the crap out of your quad running it on city streets anyway.

Old 05-11-2004, 02:47 PM
Trailblazer

Specialyst,
that running and reporting always works, right?? Well.......not always. You see, if you report your quad stolen here, we investigate it. No problem, right? It takes 6 months for the investigation to be complete, only to find that we can't solve your case, 'cause we "don't know" who took it. Meanwhile, your quad sits in storage waiting to be printed, processed, etc. You jerk us around, sometimes we............... Good Luck, hope you dont face plant into a truck while running from your $ 200.00 ticket.
The Police

Old 05-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Trailblazer

A common sense appraoch might be in order here. If you don't generate complaints, you probably won't be bothered. Unfortunately, some people beleive that because they have a "KFX,KFZ or KFC" quad that goes 70 miles per hour, they have to do that on the way to the trails on the public roads. This makes the locals mad because of the noise and the speeding, and generally unsafe handling at 70 on most roads. I'm not talking interstates, I'm talking 25-55 speed zones, residential or farm areas. If you make the cops mad enough (they don't like extra work) they will formulate a plan to deal with you. Remember, they get paid to do this, you dont. If they catch you, you pay, not them. I'll give you an example of what we did with a problem area.

We (the police) had Numeorus complaints from a local railroad about quads riding on the tracks, jumping the tracks, being generally obnoxious around trains, cussing the railroad workers, etc. This continued for 2 years. We tried talking to the kids in the area, the railroad posted signs....but in the end, it didn't work. We took a couple of quads to the tracks, and with permission from the railroad company, rode out to a spot where there was a train bridge, and sat along the tracks with a cooler, helmets, mud, etc. Every person riding that day (8), stopped to talk to us.....all of them crossed the tracks or bridge riding their quads. Every one of them had their quads towed and got a ticket. They also got a letter explaining that we had previously gone out of our way trying to avoid taking this type of action. Guess what....no more complaints for 2 years afterwards.

We have gotten a couple of calls recently, so we may have to do this again. Believe me, we have better things to do, but we can only put off a complaint for so long before we have to do something.

Old 05-11-2004, 03:17 PM
Range Rover

Well cops can inverstigate forever who cares who took it.what matters is getting your property back.thats like somebody robing your house then they find the hideout of the guys who took it.you think they not gonna give your stuff back till they find the guys i dont think so.
that would be some bs

Old 05-11-2004, 03:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

In Belgium, atv's are permitted. No death toll there I'm told.
In West Virginia, there are towns that connect to the hatfield/McCoy trails that we can ride freely in. They love us.
I asked a local cop about it and explained that I indeed was an atv'er and indeed use the streets that he just told me that I was not allowed on. I explained that we used the same speed/road rules as other "motorized vehicles". He then said that we would be fine under the circumstances that we obeyed the road rules and speed limit.
In WV and wherever, atv's are needed to help in the economy.
Why are snowmobiles allowed to use secondary roads and we with registration and insurance cannot?
NO, atv's should not be allowed on all roads.
I'm sure Knowsalot (and others) are concerned about safety and the way atv's handle on the roads. Great point! You are 100% correct in your thoughts, "but" I contend it's the rider that makes the mistakes. Rider of a Ford or rider af a Honda, either one driving DUI/speeding/out of control/etc are in the wrong. Do we/should we crusify all atvers cuz a few go wild? We surely don't crusify all drivers cuz some speed.
Just more food for thought [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-11-2004, 03:29 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: KNOWSALOT
O really???????

Consider yourself to be lucky that you haven't been caught and that you haven't been hurt.

In the state of Mississippi, you don't get tickets. You get arrested.......$250 bail, $250 fine. A misdemeanor that goes on your official Police record. Your ATV will be impounded. $100 to get it from the cops, and then another $50-$100 for the wrecker company for towing it in. If you weren't wearing a helmet when you were caught, the motorcycle helmet law is also applied, a flat rate fine of $500...AND it goes on your traffic record and not your police record.

If you could afford $1200 for each ride on the highway, then fine. If your state doesn't care and none of these laws apply to you, then shame on them.

If you want to ride on the road, buy a motorcycle and keep the ATV where it belongs.

so shame on me huh? Good old Alaska doesn't fine you squat. I have been pulled over 3 times now and the cop said "Is that vehicle stolen" He checks the numbers and tells me it's not a good idea to be on the paved roads. Then he sends me on my merry way. There is absolutely no reason quads shouldn't be allowed on the dirt/back roads in residential areas. As long as you aren't speeding and are paying close attention to traffic laws your fine. You shouldn't be on paved roads but sometimes you have to go on the smaller paved roads to get from place to place. Again, obey traffic laws and your good. Cops don't seem to care, they just advise me to stay off the bigger roads. I HAVE to ride on the roads to get to some places and i don't appreciate being told that i shouldn't be there. As long as im riding safe then i say woopty doo. Not all kids are idiots flying 70 mile and hour down roads. I see where your coming from but you need to consider this.

Old 05-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

No, we don't persecute all drivers because some speed, however, statistically, you will find that sports car drivers get more grief from the law and people in general than sedan drivers. It's all because of stereotyping. It's not right. In fact, it's down right wrong, but when you operate a conveyance that's considered a nuisance by the general population (i.e. motor cycle, atv, rice rocket, what have you) you can expect to get some grief. You've heard the saying "one rotten apple spoils the barrell"? That applies here. The few idiots who tear around on public roads on unlicensed (for road use) vehicles, make it bad for everyone. The same applies to cops with a god-plex attitude unwilling to cut slack to someone showing due-dilligence to safety and consideration of others when trying to get to their favourite riding spots with a minimum of hassles.

If humans would stop being human, and become something better than that, things would be great.

Sincerely,

Da Alien ;-)

Quick Reply: why should 4 wheelers be aloud on the roads