Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

recon 250 es shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default recon 250 es shifting problem

once connected, can you use duct tape or elctrical tape to seal it up.?

Old 10-21-2004, 07:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking from front of ATV Left side of front crankcase. Talked with local honda and charge for install is $39.

Go to http://216.37.204.206/Mcmart/Honda_O...e=13&A=85&B=18[/L] and you can get parts placement

Old 10-22-2004, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

Many times sensors are replaced that are not faulty. When reviewing the procedure for a "3" code in the Honda manual, it states angle sensor or harnes related. Following the check list can reveal other problems than the sensor itself. I have found damaged wire harnesses, pin connectors corroded, loose or pushed back at the ECU and sensor connectors.

If you would like to seal the connectors, stop by your local auto parts store and purshase a spray can of ignition sealer and spray it genorously around the connectors. This works well...

Try to avoid spraying directly at the connectors with a pressure washer.

----- Gimp -----

Old 11-07-2004, 01:35 AM
Trailblazer

The Fuse is located under the seat at the rear of the battery there is a 30 and 15 amp fuse check them for being good or just make sure that the connections are good

John

Old 11-07-2004, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider

NO NO NO
On the left side of the engine where the gear shifter would normally be connected you have to move this back and forth with a wrench or pliers while pushing the shift button. This thing needs to be sprayed with something to get the grease worms out of it. It is sticking and the shifting silonoid (spelling?) is not strong enought to shift.
That is what is wrong.

Old 01-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Took advice to remove connections at ECU and angle sensor connector, cleaned with a high quality electrical cleaner (2-26), replaced and shift codes disapeared. Took additional advice and applied some bulb grease liberally to all connections (availible at any auto parts store) , bike now shifts like it was new. I can see how the dealerships would just replace these sensors, to have the contacts clean. Thanks guys , saved me the expense of the sensor and labor.
My error was 3 blinks. 2002 recon es My son thanks you too. He thought he broke something.

Old 01-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

i did the exact same thing, and mine is working fine too. I couldn't believe the amount of fine dust in the main harness/ecu connection. so i pulled the whole thing off the little frame mount tabs, wrapped it in duct tape to keep it togetrher, and to try to slow the contamination process. I'm sure it can't hurt. then i put it back on the mounts.

cost:
Parts= 0
supplies=.50
labor=1 hour

Old 01-24-2005, 01:30 AM
Trailblazer

I think Mudnuri has the right diagnosis.

All weekend I was getting the three flashes and the only way I could get it to shift was to tap the shifter. It malfunctioned more in the beginning of our riding than at the end. I would say it flashed 10 times in the first 20 miles and then one more time in the next 30 miles. For some reason it got a lot better when the engine/transmission was warmer. Maybe when the engine got hotter it was shifting smoother.
I will oil/lubricate that point and also try to clean and put electric grease in the connectors and try to protect it from water/dust.

How easy is it to remove the sensor and clean the harness???

CUL
Marco Polo

Old 01-24-2005, 03:55 AM
Pro Rider

first try cleaning the wiring harness/re-connecting it. do it on the side that plugs into the ECU (on the steering column), and then where it plugs into the angle sensor. the sensor is covered by a protective plate in the lower left corner by your left wheel well area (but is mounted on the engine). you can verify location by going to a Honda parts website and looking at their microfiche. you only need to unplug the harness and put the di-welcetric grease on that end, maybe blow air on the other end where the sensor is.same for ECU. a lot easier that way. I think you'll find this does the trick for you.

Old 01-24-2005, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer

Ok I finally removed the harness and put dielectric grease on both ECM and the sensor. It works ok for 50% of the time and then the three blinks start.

I am going to change the angle sensor and see if that solves the problem.

Is oil going to spill when I remove the sensor??? I got the bike in the toyhauler and I don't want oil spilled all over the place.

Someone else told me that I might have to adjust the clutch. Where is that adjustment for the ES???

Thanks,
Marco Polo

Quick Reply: recon 250 es shifting problem