Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Kit to replace Electric shift with a foot shifter?

Old 01-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kit to replace Electric shift with a foot shifter?

Anyone know if you can get a kit to replace the electric shift with a manual shift. It already has a place to put the shifter. Thats the easy part. I need to know how to disable the computer. I want to be able to have foot shift or thumb whenever i like.

Old 01-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks forthe help

Old 01-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would LOVE to do the same thing........
Manicmechanic

Old 01-11-2005, 12:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

None that I have ever heard of or come acrossed unless you gut the ES system and replace everything from a foot shift model.

Old 01-11-2005, 05:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had hoped that I could find a shifter that I could permanantely(sp) attach to the "stub". They give you this little emergency one that just slides over the stub. There is no real way to attach it, short of welding it on there, which I decided would not be the best solution. I asked at the dealership about a footshifter, one that would clamp onto to the stub andthey told me there wasn't one.....hmmmm...maybe time to make my own...
Manicmechanic

Old 01-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I dont even know where the emergency shifter or the shift post was on my ES equipped rancher, I never used it. If you are at the point where you need to permanently attach it then you have something broken on you ES that needs to be fixed and not bypassed with the foot shift.

Old 01-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

Nothing is broken. This is the first electric shift I have had and I wanted to know if I could replace it with a foot shifter if it ever broke. I can attach the shifter fine. Its the computer stuff I need to figure out. If I can figure that out I know a guy with a laser cutter and a cnc machine that can cut out shifters for anyone who wants them.

I just don't think the electric shifter will last as long as everything else and Im not paying $3 or 4 hundred bucks to repair it. When it breaks it is gone.

Old 01-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ixRAZORxi
I just don't think the electric shifter will last as long as everything else and Im not paying $3 or 4 hundred bucks to repair it. When it breaks it is gone.
Why so little faith in the most reliable atv manufacturer in the world? My friends and family have been through 6 Ranchers with ES and one Recon and not one has had any serious issues or any costly repair bills from any inherent problems with the ES system. These machines are used for hauling, plowing, planting, mowing, and then beat to death on trials, sand, ice, moutains and mud during play time. All but one has been completely submerged in mud or water at least once with the only resulting maintenance being a thorough cleaning and a few oil changes.

I'm not saying the system is bullet proof, certainly not. There are known issues with angle sensors specifically on the earlier 2000 models but also on more machines since. But the ratio of atvs that have problems and those that dont is still very favorable for honda. So I wouldn't go to elaborate extremes to replace or substitute the ES system, especially when there is no guarantee that the ES system will ever fail.

Old 01-12-2005, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

i think a lot of unnecessary angle-sensor replacements have been done by people who merely looked at the blinking light code and figured the next step was replacement. i had the 8 flashes so i cleaned all the connections. i found the CPU connection was very dusty and maybe a little loose. I cleaned it, applied di-electric grease, snapped it back together and then used 100MPH tape (duct tape) to hold it all together tighter, and hopefully slow down any dust from getting. it's worked perfect ever since.

COST:
New parts= 0
materials= $1
Time 1 hour

Old 01-12-2005, 04:41 AM
Trailblazer

I looked around too. The biggest snag I found is that on the ES models, the shifter stub is square and on an M model it's splined. Now........IF the shafts were interchangable............. but I don't have any way to find out without actually ordering them both and comparing. Maybe someone whos had them both apart would know (HINT : Any mechanics out there ??) I'm with you....if it breaks it's gone. Well, maybe on mine anyway....wifey pooh just loves her pushbuttons.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kit to replace Electric shift with a foot shifter?