Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

02 Honda Recon -shifting problem

Old 11-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Honda Recon -shifting problem

9 times out of 10 codes 3,7,8, and 9 are caused by a bad angle sensor. Occasionally it will be caused by a broken wire between the ECM and the angle sensor and sometimes it will be caused by a loose connection at one of the teminals at the ECM.
Honda even states that an occasional code 3 is normal. I don't mean once everytime you ride but maybe once a month. If you get a code and you can turn the key off and back on and it goes away for another month then you don't have a problem.
There is a recall. If you haven't received a letter just stop by your local dealer and have them run your VIN through the Honda Dealer Interactive Network and see if you qualify. They should have the new sensors in stock. We have a box w/ about 100 they sent a couple of weeks ago. I replaced 3 under the recall this week and the ones I removed had not failed yet. I do recommend that if you don't have a code yet then don't have the recall done. You may as well ride the sensor you have until it fails. Who knows how long the new ones will last? If it's like the previous ones it ain't worth a crap.
Now I am waiting for everyone to chime in. "I have never had a problem w/ my ES." Well, you better knock on some wood b/c it is the worst thing Honda ever put on an ATV. Yeah, it works great except for the $30 angle sensor that goes bad every few months. And if you have to take it to the dealer, it will normally cost you an extra $30-60 for a diagnosis and repair.
I am going to save all the ones I take off during the recall. I figure at $10 a piece a lot of people will be interested in them.
And for all you guys replacing your own, I can show you a way that it can be done in 10 minutes or less. Just ask.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi I have a Hond Recon es and the light blinks three time so I was told that it is the angle sensor so I went and got one I dont no where it goes so if you can help it would be so helpful.

Old 12-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Trailblazer

It's on the front of the engine at the bottom of the cover. Take the 2 bolts out that hold the shield on(10mm socket). Remove the shield. Unhook connector. Remove 2 bolts holding sensor on(4mm allen). Remove o-ring from sensor and put on new sensor or put a new o-ring on. Installation is reverse of removal.
To ease the installation I turn the fuel off, drain the carb, cap off the fuel tank breather, and stand the quad on the rear rack. This way you can stand up and do the work. It's a lot easier than sitting on a stool and bending over. It's even easier than having it on my lift.

Old 12-01-2006, 02:56 PM
TIC
Pro Rider

There is a recall campain on these angle sensors,, call your dealer!
tell him "I think my angle sensor was one that was made in mexico"
It does not matter if its an 2002,, my wifes was also. I also recvd a letter, and in fact will be reimbursed for the repairs I payed for back in 2003.... thank god for keeping receipts.

But what sucks is the one they replaced it with in 2003 is also a bad one... but ive had no problems so im leaving well enough alone.

Old 12-02-2006, 09:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you that work for the sensor but now the thing wont stay running. I put in up on the back rack but I did not drain the carb do you think that it might be clogged.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Trailblazer

If you didn't drain the carb then your air filter is soaked in fuel. This would create a very rich condition. Take your filter out, clean it, and oil it.
You may have to change your plug. It could be fouled also.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:11 AM
Range Rover

i've had no shifting problems on mine but mines an 06' so that could be a factor in that....did you fix it yet?

Old 12-03-2006, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

recon250submarine.....your 06 recon isnt an ES is it because if it isnt then you probably wont have any problems shifting, if you do then its possible someday you might but who knows

Old 12-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the help my problem was the air filter and the carb was clog. I think that I have it fix.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

There is a recall on this bike for shifting problem til Aug of 07.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02 Honda Recon -shifting problem