Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

02 Honda Recon -shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Honda Recon -shifting problem

I just bought a used 2007 Rancher and rode it for the first time today and to my dismay, it had the same problem... When you go to press either the upshift or downshift button (In any gear, not 1 in particular), the display goes from whatever number gear it is in to displaying a dash. It will neither upshift nor downshift, not until you cut it off and start it back up. ANYONE,HELP!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

well after tearing my rancher apart I diagnosed the problem to be the shift plate that makes contact with the shift drum. It has a small wire spring on it that allows the plate to operate up and down. It was stuck and the tolerances between the two plates were to tight, so........I have ordered the part and when it comes in I will keep my fingers crossed that replacing this part solves the problem. I can honestly say that there are alot of internal culprates that could cause a rancher to "not shift".

Old 02-18-2008, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am asking. THe 350 es is stuck in first and blinking. I have shifted it into neutral, will start with pull rope , easy, but when I try the started button, everything goes dead, then reboots in three or four seconds until I hit the starter button, then dead again.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:28 AM
Trailblazer
Default 02 Honda Recon -shifting problem"></title><script src=

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: melloyello

9 times out of 10 codes 3,7,8, and 9 are caused by a bad angle sensor. Occasionally it will be caused by a broken wire between the ECM and the angle sensor and sometimes it will be caused by a loose connection at one of the teminals at the ECM.
Honda even states that an occasional code 3 is normal. I don't mean once everytime you ride but maybe once a month. If you get a code and you can turn the key off and back on and it goes away for another month then you don't have a problem.
There is a recall. If you haven't received a letter just stop by your local dealer and have them run your VIN through the Honda Dealer Interactive Network and see if you qualify. They should have the new sensors in stock. We have a box w/ about 100 they sent a couple of weeks ago. I replaced 3 under the recall this week and the ones I removed had not failed yet. I do recommend that if you don't have a code yet then don't have the recall done. You may as well ride the sensor you have until it fails. Who knows how long the new ones will last? If it's like the previous ones it ain't worth a crap.
Now I am waiting for everyone to chime in. "I have never had a problem w/ my ES." Well, you better knock on some wood b/c it is the worst thing Honda ever put on an ATV. Yeah, it works great except for the $30 angle sensor that goes bad every few months. And if you have to take it to the dealer, it will normally cost you an extra $30-60 for a diagnosis and repair.
I am going to save all the ones I take off during the recall. I figure at $10 a piece a lot of people will be interested in them.
And for all you guys replacing your own, I can show you a way that it can be done in 10 minutes or less. Just ask.</end quote></div>

I have a new 07 Recon manual shift. Do these have the angle sensor on them, and can we just bypass it? If so, how is it done....

Ronnie-The Toolman[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-25-2008, 07:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no angle sensor on manual shift (TM or FM ) models .. The angle sensor is only on ESP (TE , FE and Hondamatic ) models...

Old 07-30-2008, 01:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Oh, you are lucky if your angle sensor is $30, I have an 06 400 Fourtrax AT with 1300, lightly ridden kms and it is on it's 3rd sensor at $130 apiece! and this one is still not working! Having nothing but problems with this shift set-up.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

I Need Help. I have a Honda 2005 rancher es 2wd. I need to know where the angle sensor is and how to change it. Any help would be appreciated

Old 09-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The angle sensor is at the lower front on the engine , right beside the shift control motor ... There is a little metal guard over it , they are easy to change and make sure the o'ring is in place on the new sensor or it could take in water/moisture..

There was a PUD on the 2004 TRX350TE they came with angle sensors made in Mexico (Mexico written on the angle sensor) Honda replaces these sensors for free , here in Canada your 2005 doesn't fall in the list but I'm not sure about in the US so it wouldn't hurt to clean and check the angle sensor for the word Mexico ..