Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

02 Honda Recon -shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 11:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Honda Recon -shifting problem

My electric shifters, up & down do not work. I have my 1st gear light blinking several times then it repeats like some type of error code.
Does anyone have any idea what this is and how I can fix it. I think its electrical? I dont think its any major tranmission problem.
I hope its not. other than that I bought it used and it has run great!

2002 Honda Recon ES-Red with reverse shifter.

thanks
Dana[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 07-25-2005, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

Try rocking it and shifting. You can't shift up unless you are mving or it gets stuck.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

adjust the clutch.

Old 07-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I believe after 02, that it is a code. I know the foreman and rancher codes, but not the recon, but maybe someone else does. How many times does it flash?
If it seems like the buttons do nothing, no clicking, no action, then Start by checking whether or not you can shift with the emergency handle. If you can, this eliminates a tranny problem. Put it to nuetral,using the emergency handle, and cycle the key to off, and back on. This should reset the computer. Now go on...do you still have flashing?
It may have been a temporary bug. If it works after this, but keeps happening...do the clutch adjustment.
If it doesnt clear...we'll need to know what code is flashing.
Welcome to the forums

Old 08-03-2005, 08:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

hi, thanks for the reply, the blinking changes sometimes its three blinks, now its 9 blinks.

From the advice I found in the forums on this known problem I found the ECU unit attached to a rubber band type of piece right in front of the cooling fins. I detached the ECU and blew compressed air in it reattached it, it worked for a few minute then went right back to the blinking. Should spray some type of electrcal cleaning fluid in there? i was also told to adjust the clutch, where is the clutch? its automatice it shouldnt have one. Hey Im no mecahnic.

thanks you have been a great help!

Dana:

Old 08-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the 2004 recon but not ES. But my neighbor owns an es and it does have a clucth. It is in the front of the moter towards the middle. I dont know witch way your suppose to turn it though i would have to look

Old 08-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Trailblazer

The 02 Recon 250 has a 3 blink code to let you know that either the ECU need to be cleaned (or) the angel sensor need to be replaced. it also means that you may have a wire problem.
I would start with the ECU remove it and clean it real good with a electronic spray cleaner then clean the connections with the same spray. Let dry and then hook them back up go from there then if all else fails it might be a broken wire going to the angle sensor check all that first and let me know what you find out

John

Old 08-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

It has two clutches, one is a centrifical, and the other is a mult disk wet clutch.
Im assuming its adjusted like all other honda motors, and someone can correct me if im wrong, but theres a nut and a slotted screw, on the front side of the motor. Its in the center of the biggest round shaped cover. with the motor warm, but off.Loosen the nut, but dont remove it. Turn the slotted screw, ccw, until you feel reistance, then go cw 1/4 turn. Hold the slotted screw at that place, and snug the nut. Done.

Old 08-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

where is the angle sensor? thx for your help lighthouse!!!

Old 08-04-2005, 11:33 PM
Trailblazer

The angle sensor is located at the front of the motor on the right side . there is a cover over the sensor so you have to remove the cover and then remove to two socket bolts and there it is.
the test to see if the sensor is working is disconect the ECU and check the resistance between the yellow and blue terminals and then the blue and green terminals the resistance should be between 0 to 5 k ohmes runninf through the gears 1 to 5

then take the sensor and turn the sensor rod with the ohme meter conected to the terminals and check for abnormal readings. if the readings are abnormal then replace the sensor if all looks ok clean the terminals between the sensor and the conector

let me know how you make out

John

Quick Reply: 02 Honda Recon -shifting problem