Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

HONDA 450 ES FOREMAN SHIFTING PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 02:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Your 450 is too early for the flashing fault code readings. It will probably be the angle sensor but could be the shift motor or wiring. I would strip the shift motor and check it first. If it is OK, and the wires seem OK, change the angle sensor.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello, I got the gear motor and the angle sensor off last night and took the motor off and opened it and it looked pretty good. I cleaned the copper and it was pretty good the brushes look good to.
see the picture.
I put a ohm sensor on the angle sensor 3 pins and I see the ohms moving when I turn the sensor. Does anyone know what they should be for a good one?
All the wires look good, none is cut or look like they are missing.
I put the sensor back connected to the wire and also the motor and turned the key on and still I have the dashes -- in the gear number. I turned the sensor to see if that would make a difference but nothing.

Any ideas for my next looking for the issue?
thanks
gary

Old 09-29-2014, 02:12 PM
Trailblazer

here

Attached Thumbnails HONDA 450 ES FOREMAN SHIFTING PROBLEMS-0928141705-1024x600-800x469-.jpg  
Old 04-18-2015, 07:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Stuck between gears. Forman 450es 2003

Old 09-02-2015, 04:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
I would start a new thread, Most of us can't be bothered to wade through the previous 4 pages of answers.

Try shifting with the emergency lever. If you can't get second etc with that, you have a selector problem, if you can, it could be the angle sensor. If your 450 is a late one, any electrical fault code should come up as a blinking gear indicator on the dash. Also check the clutch adjustment, 1st and reverse are done from a stop so don't need the main clutch to lift.
Can you elaborate on this? I can get 1st and R and it makes the noise when I press the gear change button, but won't change. When I use the emergency lever, the same, 1st and R only when I try to change up with the lever, there is a bit of play but no gear change, oh and the "1" on the readout flashes, Am I right in thinking that this is mechanical as opposed to the electrics?

Old 09-03-2015, 02:38 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

It must be the time of year, I've had two bikes in with ES problems this week. If you can get second, third etc, with the emergency lever, you have an ES fault, if you can't get these gears with the emergency lever, the shift mechanism is faulty. The number of flashes that the 1 makes, indicates what the fault is, but if it is mechanical it can just indicate "I've tried to shift up and it hasn't happened." Take the motor off, and try changing with the emergency lever, as having to turn the motor and it's gearbox as well, muddies the water a bit. If you still can't get second etc, take the clutch cover off and check the mechanism inside, my guess is the star wheel on the end of the shift drum loose, but all parts of the mechanism inside the cover can crack or break.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for your prompt reply, I will try to have a look later and will let you know how I get on.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Merryman, Sorry for delay!, plumber and carpenter for last few weeks! thanks for the advice again, I think I've found the problem, as you advised I took off the gear change motor (BSpam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word *d of a job) I suppose because it had been on there since 2000 it was a little reluctant to come off, rounded bolts you name it! the motor is NFG, I'm guessing it should be nice and smooth running eh? this one is very loose and squeeky, ordered a new one, not say "oh that's it" but it ain't helping, will let you know how I get on.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

A friend of mine bought a bolt on es hand shifter on Ebay that seems to have taken care of his shifting problems. DOn't know if it would work for this, but thought I would mention it

Old 10-23-2015, 06:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
It must be the time of year, I've had two bikes in with ES problems this week. If you can get second, third etc, with the emergency lever, you have an ES fault, if you can't get these gears with the emergency lever, the shift mechanism is faulty. The number of flashes that the 1 makes, indicates what the fault is, but if it is mechanical it can just indicate "I've tried to shift up and it hasn't happened." Take the motor off, and try changing with the emergency lever, as having to turn the motor and it's gearbox as well, muddies the water a bit. If you still can't get second etc, take the clutch cover off and check the mechanism inside, my guess is the star wheel on the end of the shift drum loose, but all parts of the mechanism inside the cover can crack or break.
Me again, eventually got around to changing the motor, no joy, before I start removing stuff I shouldn't, the clutch is located behind the large cover at the front of the engine just above the gear change motor, it's the one with the adjusting screw and locknut?

Quick Reply: HONDA 450 ES FOREMAN SHIFTING PROBLEMS