Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

ATV Action Review of the 06 450R

Old 11-14-2005, 10:42 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ATV Action Review of the 06 450R

Didn't seem like they were all that excited. They said the suspension was harsh, the powerband was harsh (a hit in the middle........just like the Yamaha), a little tippy in turns, bad stock tires (no serious rider keeps stock tires anyway), etc.

First off, they tested it on the track. How many of you ride the track? I'm betting not very many, so how is a track test relevent to the average rider??? I wanted a test out on the trails, where most of the real world rides. Issues like the new gearing, etc., etc...........

I have to say that if any machine can benefit from extended a-arms, this one is it. That will totally cure any tippyness problems, but might leave it a little wide for you tight trail riders. Great for the desert though!

Old 11-14-2005, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WAS gonna get one....now not too sure. Think I'm leaning more towards a new YFZ now. Seems to be a lot better overall. This test and write-up really disappointed me. What does everyone else think? (OWNERS of the new 06 450R)

Old 11-15-2005, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

ok im not a 06 R owner, but even so, i wouldnt call the 450R tippy. its stays planted pretty good on the tracks ive been on (im not a pro racer but have ridden many yrs and many diff bikes) a raptor 660 is tippy to me...at least my '04 R doesnt seem so tippy as it seems squirelly at very high speeds and doesnt feel as balanced as the older 250Rs.

wait for another review or ride one yourself before you dismiss it...remember, all the mags are hyped for the new quadracer 450- so everything to them is gonna suck now. the YFZ is a good bike and like i have said many times on here, it is a better 250R replacement than the 04/05 450R was. the 06 R was supposed to even the score though. it got new geometry in the front, and believe me- a longer swingarm is welcome not to mention the power upgrades it got...i think the mag editors were on crack. the suspension on the R is VERY respondent to adjustments so, i really dont think they tried. a few clicks on the shocks on the R make a big difference. it did on mine.

the 06 YFZ has alot of improvements too. but everyone is waiting to see this LTR450R in action. i know im curious. but they are all good bikes and i dont think you can go wrong with any of them right now. competition is great and getting better. it just depends on:

how much you want to spend
how agressive you are
what you want to give up
what kind of riding you do (if you are into tight trails, the 49" wide quadracer isnt gong to
help)

Old 11-15-2005, 07:46 AM
Pro Rider

If I didn't have this 700R, the 06 450R would be my next ride. Heck, I wanted an E-start 450R before I ever bought my first Raptor (a little late there, Honda) and now they made it even better than before. I'm not anticipating Suzuki's release of their LT-R450 at all...........What would I do with a 49" wide quad? Clip trees? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-15-2005, 09:31 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They test it on a track because that is what it is built for. And even tho the majority of them will be trail ridden, most ego minded riders want something that is a bada$$ racing machine even if they can't use it to their full potential.

And you can't go by what mags say, they are all a little biased. Hey, they have to pay to keep their lights on.

As for the R450 Quadracer, like Ozark said, it is to wide to be a trail(woods) machine.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:11 PM
Range Rover

I just finished my first weekend with my new 06 450ER (HRC Kit) in the sand. Great performance all around. Best quad I have ridden. (I haven't been on the 700 Raptor nor the 06 YFZ450.)

I find it hard to believe the 450R stocker in the dirt is that different.

What's up with that review from ATV Action....were they pi$$ed at Honda for some reason? Makes no sense. Something smells to me.....

Of course they never have normal users like you and me do the tests, it's either Pro riders or total amateurs.

Old 11-18-2005, 12:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thumbed through 3 different mags with the 06 450R in it tonight, onloy 4 Wheel Action ragged on the quad. Sport and I can't remember the other mag had shorter blurbs but mostly just talked about handling being a bit better and the motor having a bigger hit. The other two didn't mention overly harsh suspension. I suppose Yamaha paid 4Wheel Action off to diss the Honda(sarcasm) I do think it will be an interesting year for comparisons. Honda making their quad more 'YFZ' like while Yammie made theirs more 'Honda' like and Suzuki throwing in a wild card.

Old 11-18-2005, 03:49 AM
Pro Rider

Thats funny. The 450r is honda's MX bike, not their TRAIL bike, and it seems they might have the worse 450 mx bike on the market. Oh well, there's that honda reliablity thing to fall back on.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: midnite
Thats funny. The 450r is honda's MX bike, not their TRAIL bike, and it seems they might have the worse 450 mx bike on the market. Oh well, there's that honda reliablity thing to fall back on.
The worst in who's eyes? It's preference man, the YFZ and 450R need to be ridden in two different styles.

Old 11-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: scottd
WAS gonna get one....now not too sure. Think I'm leaning more towards a new YFZ now. Seems to be a lot better overall. This test and write-up really disappointed me. What does everyone else think? (OWNERS of the new 06 450R)
This is just what those people at Hi-Torce pub. want everyone to think, honda bad, yahmaha good. yamaha paided them a LOT of money to write up that crap. on the honda page a guy wrote a great review on this subject.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ATV Action Review of the 06 450R