Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2006 450R Electric Start

Old 01-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 450R Electric Start

That only happen when you give it to much throtle because of the TPS it advances the timing my 450 starts great all the time

Old 01-03-2006, 02:04 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: bansheecraze32
All electric start 450R's are having problems right now. Stalls and It seems the starter is not spinning the motor fast enough to start. As of right now i'm not sure what to get, I was looking at the 05/ 06 z400, But I hear they have clutch cover problems (rotting out). Thought about the YZF or the 700R but 7100 is a big chunk of change for a quad. Does anyone make a good trouble free quad anymore?????? 400ex is out of the question. I drove one and it was slow compared to what I'm use too. I'll hang out to april and see what happens with all these issues then make a decision.

I have an 06 450R ES and I have no complaints at all....With the HRC kit the bike starts and stays running a lot better....

In stock form it was a pain to get it started and idling....It would stall a lot, but with the kit it is nothing but awesome to ride.

Very strong engine that really pulls and has useable and forgiving characteristics....it will pull you out of any gear with ease

Stock 450R is a major disappointed...$299 HRC kit for the 06 is the way to go....Night and day difference!!!

I told my salesman that they should not sell the quad to anyone unless they agree to having the kit installed....it makes that much of a difference

The electric start fires right up (nebies to this press the gas which is not needed and causes starting problems) just puch the button w/o gas and she is ready to run...even choke time is less with the HRC kit installed

Old 01-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Range Rover

You are a lucky man, Bansheecraze32...I have never seen a thread get so much good response, accurate, and no BS. Usually there are a couple idiots jump in.

I had to train myself to keep my thumb OFF THE DAMMM THROTTLE when starting my 06 450R w/Kit, as the book tells us. I am so used to flicking the throttle when I start a quad!

No starting problems now at all , ever, unless the quad is very hot. Then I have to add a little throttle. Like many quads, I had to learn exactly what it likes.
Stalling occurred upon landing jumps with the throttle off, so I turned up the idle screw about 2/3 turn and no more problem.
I think Honda sets them up for emissions.

I owned a piped Banshee for 5 years. My 450R w/Kit is faster, more comfortable, much easier to maintain, much better on the trails....I would never go back.

The Z400 is a great little quad...and it does have reverse. Lacks overall power. If you want to putt on the trails, it would be hard to beat. If you want to rip on the trails I would definitely buy the 450R (and definitely not the YFZ450). In the sand there is no real comparison....the 450R for sure.

I dropped the front sprocket one tooth after an extensive trial period. I like it better this way and I think you will find it really preferable geared down on the trail. 10 minute job. Don't need to break the chain. Chain tightening is simple and quick. I ordered the sprocket from Rocky Mountain ATV.

Since you are coming off the Banshee, I can't believe you will be happy with the Z400 power, unless you do a LOT of engine work.

I just rode the piped 700 Raptor, and it is a very nice quad. I would take it over the Z400 because it has great power and the ride is vastly improved. It also has reverse, But the 700 is still not a fast as the 450R. It does have endless torque.

Have Fun!

Old 01-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

Morewood,

Thanks for the great info. I am going to adopt for the kick start. I just can't stand the battery going dead from time to time if I let it stand for a few months. My wolverine did that and pissed me off. Lucky it has a pull start. That is just a preference I guess no big deal. I am looking forward to getting one as soon as they are availble. My dealer told me any day now. I am going to put the HRC kit in myself also. One other thing how good is the suspension (front & rear) for a 160 lbs rider for big jumps and whoops?

Thanks again

Old 01-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Range Rover

The suspension is adjustable all around and has reservoirs. I think the factory settings are perfect for aggressive riding by a 180 lb person. I mainly want protection at the bottom of a long fast descent when I hit a bad V-bottom. I want the shocks to save me there, and these do. Last week I was riding a lot of little rough stuff so I softened the fronts a bit.

My son jumps with the Pros and he said it is just fine...no bottoming out on the Big Air. He is about 170 lbs.

Some guys are getting the triple rate springs to switch out up front. But this is the best factory suspension I have ever seen. Maybe the Predator Fox shocks stock are pretty close.

Sounds like a good choice for you to get the kickstart, but I have never had a battery problem with any of my E start quads. I do ride them every month.

Enjoy the Honda!

Old 01-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks alot again. Hope they come in soon....

Old 01-07-2006, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

If I remember right, your at least a month out banshee. I believe when I was at the Honda dealer show they said Feb. And I think I was paying pretty close attention because that's what I went to the show to see. I will probably get the kick as well. Good luck!