Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Need help with 300 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2000, 09:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do alot of mudding and when I get home I usually check all my fluids. Lately every time I check my rear end fluid, the fluid is black and water pours out. Usually the water will turn the fluid white but it doesn't, the water just pours out almost as clear as tap water and the fluid is pitch black even after I change it and take it for a ride. Could the water be getting in the axle seals, running through the bearing grease and into the rear end? I dont think the gasket on the fill hole is bad. The bike is a 1992 Honda 300 4x4

Old 11-21-2000, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 300 has been mostly touble-free. I have a neighbor who had the problems you described. His seal to the brake drum went bad, and once water gets in the brakes, it doesn't have too much trouble getting into the rear end. He had no idea how the water was getting in there, as no seal looked like it was leaking. Finally, one cold day, it wouldn't move as the brakes were frozen. To tell if this is your problem, loosen the drain plug to the brakes. If water got in there, you will have the same thing he did. Not too bad to fix, just the seal between the brakes & rear end and the brake outer seal.