Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Buying another Honda Rancher 4x4 ES vs. a 450 Foreman ES

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2000, 10:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I presently own a 2000 Rancher ES 4x4 and am considering a Foreman 450 ES for my second quad.Most of my riding has been recreational and I may do some occasional snow plowing. I am looking for advice from those of you who own or have experience in riding both quads. I have been told the performance is almost identical as is the handling of both quads.I am also interested in the Ranchers dry sump technology over the Foremans wet sump system. I was told this technology allowed for the ground clearence advantage of the Rancher.Any other information is appreciated on this topic. My primary reason for considering the Foreman 450 ES is based on its larger frame/bigger displacement and hopefully improved overall performance. Is the price difference between the two quads worth moving up to the Foreman. Thanks for the help

i

my

rancher

the

Old 12-02-2000, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

The rancher is great, and I love mine, but if I had the money I think, I'd Ruby.

Old 12-02-2000, 04:56 PM
Range Rover

Being the proud owner of both I may be able to help you. In my opinion there isn't a lot of difference between them with respect to handling and ride. The Rancher is a bit better but not by a lot. Ground clearance is identical. Believe me. I have measured them both and there is zip for difference.

The Foreman has more torque. Lots more. I find that there is one gear difference when riding. The Foreman is consistently one gear higher. Top end is the same as long as you are on the level. Any inclines, regardless of how slight, and the Foreman pulls away. If you were to drag race them both you would find that the Foreman accelerates quicker.

Gas mileage is close but the Rancher has a slight advantage.

I do like the Ranchers front differential better in the mud.

C'est tout.

Temp

Old 09-15-2002, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Hi Tempest,
Does the foreman have more vibration than the rancher? And can you take
your foreman out of 4-wheel drive? And one last question, how about the
suspension between the two for average trail riding? I have a 2000 rancher es and really like it. I also have a 2002 650 praire, but keep having clutch
problems. I have been considering trading it for another rancher or
foreman. I like the dependability of the HONDAS. The praire is awesome
when running, but who wants to keep fixing them before each ride. I will
be on my 3rd belt after only 900 miles. My rancher has just over 2000 miles
and my old 300 4x4 has over 3500 and no trouble. They both have been ridden
harder than my 650.
Any thoughts would be great.
thanks,BIRDMAN

Old 09-15-2002, 09:53 PM
Range Rover

I just purchased a 2003 Foreman 450 ES $5500 out the door, my buddy has a 2002 rancher with about 40 hours on it he paid 4900. We took them out yesterday, both seem exactly the same in performance, I can't believe this thing only does 45MPH. The Foreman has all the cool goodies like 3rd headlight, speedometer, clock, 2/4 wheel switch, but when push come to shove, same performance.

Old 09-15-2002, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

My brother bought a new 450 (a year ago) and it goes 50mph. A rancher is narrower, and doesn't have as much torque (previously mentioned) top speed isn't as important to me, if the quad has to be on a level road or going down hill, but when you come to a ever so slightly uphill the foreman has the extra power to hold the top speed whereas the rancher will lose more speed. the foreman also has trax-lock (switchable 2 and 4WD) Overall the foreman is a torquier, more stable ride.

Old 09-16-2002, 09:52 AM
Range Rover

Hey Rincon, how does your brothers Foreman compare to your Kodiak 400 in performance?

Old 09-16-2002, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer

Hello, I've got a 99 foreman 450 es 4x4 and a 2001 rancher es 4x4 all original no mods so here's what I've found. The rancher is a little more nimble, a little less power, a little more top end speed. I've had the rancher up to 54mph before the rev-limiter kicked in and the forman at 51 when it kicked in. Foreman seems a little more stable, like it has a larger footprint, could be it's just a bit heavier. Power.... I've never had either one give me any reason to require more power. I've towed a trailer on the rancher with about 500lbs gross on it, plus a second rider up a mountain and while it did have to be in 1st gear, it never complained one bit.

The forman does have the center mounted moveable headlight that is nice, and it does seem to ride a little stiffer.

If you have any specific question you want me to answer, let me know...

gary

Old 09-16-2002, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

I have a '98 450 and find it great overall, flying down dirt roads rarely requires coming out of fifth gear, although sometimes I wish there was a sixth gear. Torque O' Plenty.

Old 09-16-2002, 06:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Hi Gary,
Thanks for the reply.I appreciate the info.

Quick Reply: Buying another Honda Rancher 4x4 ES vs. a 450 Foreman ES