Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1994 TRX-300 Foreman starter removal. PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 10-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 TRX-300 Foreman starter removal. PLEASE HELP!!!

I am working on a 94 trx-300 foreman and at first glance the starter removal looks like a piece of cake until you realize that there's not enough room to slide the starter motor out after unbolting it. I'm hoping the whole engine side cover doesn't have to be removed. I didn't remove the small cover yet with the plastic cover screwed onto it, but I'm a little doubtful if that's gonna do it. Please help. I'v never had the side cover off of one of these, hopefully I won't have to. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

i saw one removed last week from a trx 300 - they had to drain the oil then remove the whole engine side cover...
and lots of gears fell out that conect the to the starter motor...

this may not be an absolute as they were robing the stator coil and the starter from a parts machine i just bought from them..
so the whole side cover had to come off any way....but they also had to remove shift lever and foot peg to get it off.

I can tell you that the starter is kind of really press fitted into the left side cover and they had to wack it pretty hard with a rubber mallet
even after they had starter and left side engine cover on the bench....

it has a rubber O ring (oil fitting) making tension....

Ill check my manual here and see if the book calls for cover removal....

If it were me id try every thing possible to remove without poping that cover cause there are several gears inter conecting to that starter..

hold on ill go check book

Old 10-01-2006, 11:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

well the book says you have to remove the small cover and remove the starter reduction gears then you can lift the starter up and towards the
right side of motor to remove...

Hope it helps.

M

Old 10-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks a bunch OldandSlow. I will hopefully have time tonight or tomorrow night to tear into it. I just didn't want to pull that cover off, otherwise I would have taken it somewhere else to fix it. I'll let you know. The starter doesn't crank, the solenoid clicks once everytime the starter button is pushed and that's it. Maybe we can get by with just replacing the brushes. I'm sure the starter is a bit pricey. I am working on this for a friend of mine. Thanks again

1999 500 Scrambler
1998 500 Sportsman
2002 Kaw. KLR 650
1998 Road King
2000 Buell Cyclone
1998 Polaris XC 700
1999 Polaris 500 Indy

Old 10-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

The manual actually has diagrams for rebuilding starter and testing procedures for checking both starter and silenoid--

i got the Clymer trx300 & trx300FW 1988-2000 (great modle for interchangeability)

alot of the info is crosses over to many other modles

I dident know trx 300 ever went under the foreman tag?

Old 10-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I took the starter apart( it came out like your book said it would) and the brushes were definitely shot. It is going to the local parts store tomorrow and they should be able to fix me up. Hopefully that's all that's wrong with it. Thanks again, you were very helpful. I guess I should buy a manual if I'm working on these in the future.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope the dealer you take it to is an honest person, i had a 86' trx 350 foreman 4wd i bought used in 89' and it only had about 50 mile's on it ; the starter was dragging on it. I took it to the local dealer to have it rebuilt, they told me it would cost about 25.00 to rebuild, but i got a call from dealer after i got home ; and they told me the armature for burnt up ! He said it couldn't be rebuilt, and a new one would over 200.00 , i had told them to do a complete service when i dropped it off oil an filter change valve adjustment and a clean up ! He asked me if i wanted the starter , and i ofcourse i had to have it because i am a bilateral amputee and couldn't kick start it !!! Well when i went to pick it up, the bill was over 300.00 i was shocked because i'd known the dealer for over 20yrs and didn't think he would rip me off but he did !! And to make matter's worse the young kid he let work on my quad stripped my oil drain plug in the proccess and he didn't want to fix the stripped oil drain hole !! I had to get a helicoil kit for 50.00 an repair drain hole myself, i never took it to them again i bought a repair manual and did my own work from then on !! He finally gave me the money for the helicoil kit , but he tried to say i stripped it myself, and how he was doing me a favor ! Needless to say i found another dealer after that.................williebee

Old 10-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Can't say I blame you for wanting to fix it yourself after an incident like that. I checked at the dealer and they want 30-35 dollars for the two brushes, that's why I took it to another shop that sells auto parts and they have a shop there that repairs alt. and starters along with cyl. heads etc. They said they have some brushes there and I'm sure they don't cost more than a third of what the Honda dealer charges. I little mechanical know how goes a long way these days that's for sure. As far as buying a new starter, I found new starters on ebay for a fraction of what the dealer charges. I bought one for my polaris atv and it works great so far and was around a hundred dollars compared to three hundred plus at the dealer! Ride on