Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2001 Honda Rubicon 500

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Honda Rubicon 500

With all that it wasn't the angle shaft sensor.It was the neurtal sensor $88.00 tax in replaced it and it works fine.Thanks for your help guys.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Trailblazer

You're doing better than me ... Mine went from a code 9 .. then to code 11 ... now she's flashing a code 5 every once in awhile.

To date I've purchased a new ECM, shift motor & now angle sensor .... Thanks for posting.

Still a devoted Honda fan but losing interest quickly!

Old 02-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't know what it is, but lately it seems like there's been quite a few Rubicon threads like this one.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moog99
Sorry that I didn't read your post here before replying to the PM
I was not aware of the shift moror issue.
Pull the shift motor and take a screwdriver to spin the gear, inside the engine where the motor was mounted, in both directions.
If it only turns in any direction the unit has gone into what is termed 'motor lock'
See if the gear will 'break free' with the screwdriver. Don't force it hard in eather direction. It should break free easily if this is the issue.
Reinstall the Shift control motor and initialize the system.
If you need assistance on the initialize process, drop me a PM

thanks

----- gimpster -----

Old 07-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi,

It's been a while since I've looked at the posts. Thank you for replying.

We have been so frustrated that we gave up until it was warmer outside to work on it.

We still have the same problem, not sure if you know all the details or not but the control motor (the magnet inside busted to smitherens, we replaced it of course)

I read your post and don't really understand. "If it only turns in any direction the unit has gone into what is termed 'motor lock'
See if the gear will 'break free' with the screwdriver."

It does turn in both directions, my boyfriend has done this part not me so I'm not sure if it is surposed to. Can you clarify for me please and thanks.

Tammy

Old 07-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

With the shift control motor removed will the reduction gear turn freely with your finger , if it won't turn then it is in "motor lock" .. You will need to break it free with a screwdriver , I just try turning one way and then the other way because it won't be stuck hard .. In the picture I added you will see Honda recommends checking the angle sensor with an ohm meter then turning the reduction gear in the direction Honda recommends ..

================================================== ==============================================

Old 07-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Unhappy rubicon problems

I am having alot of problems with my 2003 rubicon. it flashes when you turn it on and wont shift gears. I had taken it 2 times to the shop to have the sensor reset, and now its doing it again. can anyone help me reset this at home? please help

Old 07-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Cool 2001 Rubicon issues

So lets start off with I bought an 01 Rubicon from a guy and it had over heating issues and he said the transmission would act up after it got hot from over heating. The gas would even start to bubble from the heat and you could see it bubbling out of the vent tube on top. So I had the radiator cleaned and tested, then flushed the system, replaced the thermostat, thermosender unit, and the radiator cap. So ran it and the fan started coming on again, and the over heating is fixed. The guy said he had the top end rebuilt as well, because the over heating had burned the oil ring. So I cleaned the spark arrestor assemble in the exhaust since I assumed it was stopped up and then ran it to clean the exhaust out and put everything back together. Now the problem that started since I started this whole trouble shooting problem, is that when you drive it for about 30 minutes, and you go to give it half throttle or more there is a grinding sound, I'm thinking it's the clutch. I've changed the oil in it because the old oil was filthy, but the grinding started after the oil change. Although I didn't have a chance to ride it hard before hand so I don't know if it was doing it before. However it still pulls but just has a grinding/ almost like a grind sound at high RPM like when you shift gears in a car and you grind the gear. However the trans still pulls, and it does it in auto or in ESP. It also has a grind when going from Neutral to Drive or Reverse and it seems like it is hard to put it back in neutral when in reverse and going from Drive to N it will slip into revers before locking in. Before I buy the clutch I was hoping that I could get every ones opinion on this as there may be something I'm not thinking about.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider

I sent you kind of a quick outline of what is going on, via private message. Apology for delayed reply, have been fighting colon issues (celiac and cancer) and have only been back on my feet for around a week. I am just getting back on the forums again

~Gimpster~