Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400 AT

Old 11-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 AT

I have an 05 400At and while using it to aerate my yard last week it got really hot, I mean I was not abusing it by any means, just a lot of backing up and pulling forward etc, My question is how to you test the oil cooler to make sure it is working? It only has 17 hours on it. The engine actually started rattling. I let it cool of for an hour and it seems fine. It is much cooler outside now and I wonder if its the cool air that is cooling the oil or the oil cooler?
thanks for any help.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400 AT

does your machine have an auxiliary fan behind the cooler? remember, this machine is air cooled if it has an oil cooler, and air cooled engines naturally get hotter, especially slow maneuvering and utility work. If the oil cooler fins are clean and air can flow through, it will work as long as oil is getting through the cooler. feel the tubes going in and out when it gets warm, if they are hot to the touch the oil is getting through fine.

if that looks ok, maybe you have a problem with your fan? I dont know where it is on a 400AT, but there's a thermosensor that controls the fan and the hot light on the display. uplugging it should make the hot light come on and the fan should start. if that doesnt work, uplugging it and using a wire to jumper the wires of the connector
together should make the fan start. if that doesnt work, check to make sure you dont have any blown fuses or anything.

another thing, the 350, 400 and 450 air cooled engines are a little rattly sounding after broken in and warmed up. both of my 350's have been this way and it's completely normal, dont worry about it too much. also remember your oil change and valve adjustment at 20 hrs [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-08-2006, 05:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 400 AT

Thanks for the info, I did not know about the oil change or the valve adjustment, I guess the dealer will have to do that for me. My dealer never mentioned it. It is now out of warrenty, I have had it for 1 year and only get to ride it about once a month.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 400 AT

Oh and yes it does have a fan, while riding hard during the summer, when stopping for a cool drink of water I could here the fan running, and thats what concerns me, I did not here the fan running the other day when it got so hot.
Thanks

Old 11-08-2006, 06:35 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 400 AT

Got to wonder if that automatic tranny contributes to how hot it runs?????????

Old 11-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400 AT

Sounds like something wrong with the fan.
Do your own oil change. Why pay a dealer?
Valve adjustments are easy. Get a repair manual for that model and you will be set.

Search this Thread