TRX 300

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 05:04 AM
JFW
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRX 300

Naive newbie here...
I've got several questions that I KNOW will cross the stupid line...but here goes.

Bought a 1997 TRX300 last fall...seems like a good machine. Mostly used thru the winter for plowing. The guy I bought it from was the 2nd owner, he didnt have the manuals, and I havent ordered them yet. Is there any easy way to get the front fenders off? I accidentally broke a screw head off, trying to tighten the plow lift arm, and the only way to drill it out is to remove the plastic first. I thought I had all of the screws and such out, to remove the fenders, but it wouldnt budge.

Second, upon checking the air filter, I noticed a red oily substance near the bottom side of the filter. Wasnt sure if its some kind of additive, or if the whole thing is about to take a dump on me. Its about the same color as transmission fluid, but it seems a little thicker in consistency. Should I be worried?

3rd...oil/filters. I've checked the oil, its good, but it hasnt been changed since I brought it home. Since I'm not sure when it was done last, I figure it probably oughta be done. Anyone know what it takes? Furthermore, where is the filter located?

4th. Since there are no guages, is there any way, such as with some sort of diagnostic tool, to tell what kind of hours or miles this thing has?

Lastly, my title says its a 300trx, but I've noticed other machines with the same model numbers, look like sport quads. I know its full time 4wd, but my neighbor has almost the exact same machine, and his isnt. What gives?

I replaced the plug the day I got it, and its ran like a top ever since. A little cold blooded, but good. Its a 97, but other than some very minor rust on the bars/racks, its cherry. The seat and fenders are like new, and it had new ITP mudders on it when I bought it. Other than the winch not being totally reliable, and barring any major mechanical malfunction, I think I did OK. The engine is clean and shows no signs of any leaks. Anything else I might want to watch out for, with this? Thanks!

Old 02-20-2008, 08:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TRX 300

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JFW

Naive newbie here...

I've got several questions that I KNOW will cross the stupid line...but here goes.

Bought a 1997 TRX300 last fall...seems like a good machine. Mostly used thru the winter for plowing. The guy I bought it from was the 2nd owner, he didnt have the manuals, and I havent ordered them yet. Is there any easy way to get the front fenders off? I accidentally broke a screw head off, trying to tighten the plow lift arm, and the only way to drill it out is to remove the plastic first. I thought I had all of the screws and such out, to remove the fenders, but it wouldnt budge.
================================================== =
You remove the front carrier.. Remove the bumper .. Unhook the headlight wires .. Then the fender bolts ..

Second, upon checking the air filter, I noticed a red oily substance near the bottom side of the filter. Wasnt sure if its some kind of additive, or if the whole thing is about to take a dump on me. Its about the same color as transmission fluid, but it seems a little thicker in consistency. Should I be worried?
That will be air filter oil

3rd...oil/filters. I've checked the oil, its good, but it hasnt been changed since I brought it home. Since I'm not sure when it was done last, I figure it probably oughta be done. Anyone know what it takes? Furthermore, where is the filter located?
The bike holds 2.2 liters (2.3 us/qt)
The oil filter is on the right side (when sitting on the bike) there is a round cover with 3 bolts holding it on, that's the oil filter .. Be careful installing the new filter Honda filters will only go in 1 way but cheap aftermarket filters will go in backwards , this will cut the oil to the top end causing the cam to seize ..

4th. Since there are no guages, is there any way, such as with some sort of diagnostic tool, to tell what kind of hours or miles this thing has?
You can't tell how many miles/hours are on the bike , you can just go by the sound of the engine and condition of the bike..

Lastly, my title says its a 300trx, but I've noticed other machines with the same model numbers, look like sport quads. I know its full time 4wd, but my neighbor has almost the exact same machine, and his isnt. What gives?
Honda made the
TRX300 (which is 2 wheel drive with automatic clutch)
TRX300FW (which is 4 wheel drive with automatic clutch)
TRX300EX (which is a sport quad with manual clutch)

I replaced the plug the day I got it, and its ran like a top ever since. A little cold blooded, but good. Its a 97, but other than some very minor rust on the bars/racks, its cherry. The seat and fenders are like new, and it had new ITP mudders on it when I bought it. Other than the winch not being totally reliable, and barring any major mechanical malfunction, I think I did OK. The engine is clean and shows no signs of any leaks. Anything else I might want to watch out for, with this? Thanks!</end quote></div>

Old 02-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default TRX 300

The 4 wheel drive version is also (somehow) referred to as an EX in some of the parts books as pointed out by my local Honda service dealer. The 2 wheel sport version I have is the TRX300EX SportTrax. After being sold the wrong size battery, I now make sure to specify the full model name....

Old 02-21-2008, 02:20 AM
JFW
Weekend Warrior
Default TRX 300

Thanks!!!...a HUGE help folks!