Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

rubicon valve problem broke timing chain bad cam bearings im completely out of patience

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubicon valve problem broke timing chain bad cam bearings im completely out of patience

heres the story so far:

bought a 01 rubicon with a "noise in the head"

took it apart and found a broken B bearing ( rear bearing) on the cam shaft.
replaced the cam and bearings, put it all back together and it broke the timing chain after about ten mins of running. This was my fault because i installed the tensioner wrong.

took it apart a second time, replaced timing chain, head gasket, whole nice yards blah blah blah... i was extremely careful to follow the FSM. Every thing went pretty smoothly.

Got it back together sunday afternoon and it looked good. So i took it riding tonight, and it was good but i kept telling my self the valves were loud...

so here i am on the side of a pretty good hill and i notice the valve noise is now changing tone every so slightly under a load. sounds like the rockers are going from one spec to another, like the are loose or soem thing. I immedaintly took it back to the trailer and loaded it up. Still ran fine.

Is there some secret to setting valve clearances... the FSM told me .15 on intake and .23 on exh. I found here on the forum some one said they should be .06 and .08 .. whats the deal. What should i set the valves at... im going to pull all the plastic back off tomorrow and check the rockers and clerance to make sure its still in spec where i set it.. but im running out of patience for this thing. any help you guys can offer would be nice.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default rubicon valve problem broke timing chain bad cam bearings im completely out of patience

THE .15 AND .23 ARE IN METRIC MEASUREMENTS

Old 10-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer

yeah i just figured that out after reading another post....

nice job stegall.......

Old 10-22-2008, 03:00 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

must have sounded like a powerstroke diesel, yeah i should adjust mine as well, 1200 miles never adjusted since new