Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

97 Foreman 400 - No Spark

Old 06-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Foreman 400 - No Spark

Working on a 97 Foreman that's not getting spark. Started at the plug and went upstream. Here's a quick list of what I've checked or replaced so far:
Plug
Coil
CDI
Kill switch
fuses
12V (switched) confirmed from fuse block, through kill switch, to CDI

I swapped my coil (300EX) and CDI to the Foreman and got no spark. Swapped his CDI to mine and mine started, so I'm assuming his CDI is good.

Unfortunately I do not have a Clymer manual for this. So far I've been working off of the manual the owner has.

The Foreman was running fine, and either died or was shut off, and suddenly has no spark. Then it was brought to me. I'm wondering about the Ignition Pulse Generator, but don't know how or where to test it yet.

I do have some experience wrenching. I've worked on my bikes and vehicles for 20+ years, so I should be able to understand what I'm told. Any help/ideas/sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Scott

Old 06-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the charging system in good shape ..

Old 06-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the post. Yes, charging system is working. I also connected the battery charger and made sure the battery was fully charged.

The pictures and specifications you posted should allow me to confirm that pieces are good/bad instead of just swapping parts.

I'll tackle it again tonight and see what I can find out. I'll post the "problem" as soon as I find it, just in case someone else experiences something similar. A search of the threads could then help them out.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Went through the electrical last night and didn't find the problem. Tested the coil, plug wire, wiring harness, pulse generator and all came back within the expected resistance ranges according to Honda's specs.

Voltage checks were good as well.

Haven't found a way to electrically test the module yet. Some reffered to it as CDI, some as ICM, but it's upstream of the coil and downstream of the pulse generator. SHould have a service moanual on the way today, so once it arrives I'll go back to trouble shooting.

I need to verify which wires come from the pulse generator, and make sure that I was testing them correctly, because at this point I believe the pulse generator is bad. Owners manual lists it as a single blue/yellow wire. I located that in a 5 pin connector that appeared to contain the stator wires (3 yellow) and the pulse generator (blue/yellow and a fifth wire whose purprose I don't know yet. Maybe a ground side of the pulse generator?

Checked AC voltage between the blue/yellow and the green/white and got nothing.
Checked AC Voltage between the blue/yellow and battery ground and got nothing.

I think I'm in the right place, and if I am, the pulse generator is bad. Need to confirm things with a service manual.

If someone sees a mistake in the way I'm doing this, please let me know.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:33 AM
Range Rover

The only way to test a cdi/icm is to eliminate everything else as being bad. If everything else checks out ok, then the cdi should be replaced.

According to your post, i would say your ignition pulse generator is bad if you don't get any resistance between the blue/yellow wire and ground

Old 06-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

resistance measured as expected according to the info posted above by HondaMechanic. But I didn't get an AC signal out. I think it may be the pulse generator as well, but I'm waiting on a Honda service manual to confirm I'm measuring the correct wires.

If the pulse generator checks out OK, it seems like the only thing left will be the cdi module.

Service manual should be here Tues/Wed timeframe, and I'll post what I find out.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like you can PM your email addess and I can email you the ignition , switches & wiring sections ..

Old 06-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Finally have an answer to the problem; the Ignition Pulse Generator failed. No voltage out of the pulse generator.

My advice to anyone that runs into a problem that stumps you:
1. Ask on here first.
2. Order the Factory Honda Service manual for your quad.

If you have any questions about #2, take a look at what HondaMechanic posted, it's straight out of the maual. You won't get info like that from the cheaper Hayes/Clymer manuals.

Thanks for the Help HondaMechanic (and everyone else).

Old 08-30-2019, 12:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 96 Foreman no spark

Originally Posted by HondaMechanic
If you like you can PM your email addess and I can email you the ignition , switches & wiring sections ..
I was trying to reach HondaMechainc about no spark on my foreman, may be a long shot

Old 01-13-2020, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Help

What is the voltage supposed to be pulse generator.an what is the best way to test it this is also on a 1997 Honda Foreman 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by Chris Smeal; 01-13-2020 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Not right

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 Foreman 400 - No Spark