Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

need help for rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help for rubicon

I just bought a 06 rubicon. It has 27" x 10" mud lites on it all the way around and if i turn sharp and hit a rut, i've got into my fender a little bit. What is the best way to solve this without hacking my fender. Does anyone else have the same setup?

Old 08-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

my Rubicon has a 27/9 in the front, and a 27/12 in the back. That is probly your issue. I have a high lifter lift kit on mine and if i had gone ANY bigger, id be rubbing. i think you need to change your front tires.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Trailblazer

I checked it out more today. I don't have any lift, i am hitting the front fender braces. So i am either gonna have to fab something or order something. Any help would b greatly appreciated

Old 08-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol 27's? goodbye tranny

Old 08-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer

it's a fluid drive tranny right. How is bigger tires gonna smoke that? It's not like clutches

Old 08-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

Uh, yes it is. The Rubi tranny has a wet clutch.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

so is 27's too much

Old 08-18-2008, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

I think the question to ask is if 27's are even necessary. Are the additional .5 inches (or so) of ground clearance going to make or break you on your next riding trip? Why couldn't you go with a nice set of 26's? or even the factory size (25's)? The Rubicons are known for their great stability and handling out on the trail. Going to 27's not only adds unsprung weight (the worst kind of additional weight), and more wear and tear on the tranny and CV joints. It also compromises the handling and stability of the Rubicon. Why spend all that money to wear the bike out faster??

On the other hand, if your main goal is riding through the slop and the mud, by all means knock yourself out. I can see where the larger tires MIGHT help in those cases. Just don't try to take a sharp turn anywhere.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:43 AM
Trailblazer

well i just bought it yesterday. It has 19 hrs on it and it came with both sets the 27's on itp wheels and the factory tires that still have the **** on them. So since i already have the 27's i was going to use them

Old 08-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

I'd stick with the 27's, the extra inch of ground clearance is well worth it on bikes that are already pretty low. I think highlifter has/had a kit that changes the fender brackets to clear larger tires. You may be able to fab something up or have a shop make up a new mount.

10" wide tires are pretty wide in the front, I'd go with 9's if your looking to trade or swap up. The additional weight of a 27" mud lite is miminal compared to most other brands of 26 or 25" tires in 6 ply. I've run 27" tires on my Foreman for almost 9 years with no CV troubles, tranny troubles at all. I've replaced wheel bearings, but I suspect I'd be replacing them anyway given the amount of mud riding I do...even so that expense isnt great by any means.

I also ride alot of fast hard pack and sometimes paved trails to get to a riding area...my handling and stability has not been comprimised by raising the bike one extra inch in the air (I dont run a lift), with 6 ply sidewalls the tires stay firm in the corners instead of rolling on the bead, my latest tires are Radial and handling is UNMATCHED compared to many other tires I've used and tested.

Quick Reply: need help for rubicon