Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2001 Rubicon 500 shifting problem

Old 08-21-2008, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 Rubicon 500 shifting problem

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sweetmarie

To Gimpster: Here's what I've done and it worked, got all my 5 gears back but I haven't gone for a ride yet (construction, blah, blah,etc).

Hi Braco,

If I understand the reset question right, here's what Abernathy's told me to do after I had about 3 or 4 angle Sensors replaced. "Thank goodness for exrended warranty's"

I'm not 100 % positive but here's what you should try. With the key switch off hold the up and down arrows in, then turn the key to the on position without starting the bike. Then you release the arrows at the same time then push the arrows in this order......up then down then up again now release the up arrow and push the throttle all the open and release....you should here the electric motor that changes the gears move for about 4 seconds. After the sound stops you push the bike forward or backward about 15 feet. Now the motor assembly should be reset. If you have a stripped gear this won't help. Hope you have good luck and it's not a stripped gear....Mayorstt

Now do you think this is a temporary solution and when I go for a ride it will act up again? Sweetmarie</end quote></div>

OK, that initialization will work.
I do a few things different. Before initializing, ride the unit ahead about 5 feet (not after) Reason is how it was explained to me by Honda is during initialization your ecm takes current readings of all sensor ranges. Hence the throttle sweep and the motor sweep. It also needs to know the speed sensor reading which there is really no way to dulpicate like the throttle and shift motor, so it will go off the last reading stored in the ecm before the key was turned off. Since you never had a speed sensor code, I wouldn't worry about it since all is functioning OK, after your initialization.
Many of these units were not initialized at the dealer before sale, which could make sence why it has cured yours since it has been running in default mode (sensor reading ranges pre programed in the ecm) Could have found one a little out of range which caused the issues. If you ever want ultimate performance out of your quad, ring my bell, I can give you some resistance specs to set your throttle position sensor at which will make it better yet on ignition timing and shift points. I can also fool the ecm so you have 5 speeds in reverse (someone put their thumb down on me for that one so I had to quit making that info public)
Now the only thing you should do is erase any existing codes from the ecm. Simply depress both shift buttons as you did during initialization, make sure the unit is in neutral, turn on the key while they are depressed, let off the buttons, then within a few seconds depress both shift switches at the same time again. The shift indicator on the display will begin to flash codes (these are stored codes in the ecm, it will display 3 at a time max, and can store 9). Release the shift switches. To erase codes while they are flashing in this mode, depress the shift switches again and hold until the code disappears. More than one code flashing must be erased by the same proceedure (depressing both shift switches at the same time while the code is flashing). Once the codes are removed the N should flash every few seconds. To remove stored codes, turn the key switch off and start all over again, to check for codes and erase them. Remember, 9 codes max. If you keep erasing codes past 9 times, there still is an issue with the quad.

Some days I miss working for Honda, other days I am glad I went on my own...
Going from Red Level Tech, Top Tech 2006, 2007 and 2008, back to a nobody owning a repair shop is kind of hard to swallow after 22 years with Honda. Just because of a disagreement with a Honda Powerhouse dealer's wife over commission on Honda warranty work. Honda starves the tech on commission by only paying half flat rate time for work done on warranty. I walked after diagnosing the new fuel injected 420 issues during start-up temps below 15 degrees. All the time I spent with tech line and engineers and not getting paid time, I walked away when my paycheck was less than a teenagers wages they make at McDonald's. Guess I am not God, I don't wear sandles.
Nuff said
Enjoy your quad

----- Gimpster -----

Old 08-25-2008, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Gimpster, I've managed to erase all the codes, there were two. Now when I do the code check, only the N is there, no flashing ---. Haven't tried the bike except for shifting at a stand still and I can go up to 5 and back to 1, fantastic!! Holidays are over for awhile, it's back to the factory starting this morning. Thanks again bud, and all others who helped me.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer

Took the bike for a spin tonight, not far, maybe a mile. Tried all modes, seems good to go. No more flashing.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello,new here and was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem with a 2001 honda rubicon recently had to replace the angle sensor and all was well through out a 3 hour ride.The next time it was ridden it started flashing the d1 d2 esp.Retrieved code 5 reset code and now will be fine in all forward gears,but when placed in reverse the system defaults.Turn engine off and back on and fine again until shifted into reverse again. Any Ideas? Thank You!!

Old 12-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rubicon Tranny issues

Ok, new here too.....my 2001 Rubicon does same thing.....got about 1500 miles on it....LOVE it....all of a sudden in November this year @ huntin' camp...same thing happened to me...stuck in 1st hear...flashing things on screen...googled resetting codes, did that...lasts for about 10 min, then goes back....spits and sputters in Reverse...took to dealer, said "can't duplicate the problem"...it ran fine when i brought back home...parked, left for 3 weeks...moved today, same D****n problem!!! Very Frustraiting... HELP???

Old 01-16-2017, 09:40 AM
Trailblazer

Reviving this old thread. The angle sensor has gotten to the point where I can't drive at all, the dash lights start blinking seconds after I start it regardless of the initializing procedure so it's off to the Honda shop. Well they determined it as being the angle sensor as well but they want $400.00 cdn to repair it. They told me $140.00 for the sensor and $5.00 for the o-ring. Then 1 hour for estimate and another hour to change it out. At $100 hour, that amounts to close to $400 after taxes. This is a 2001 Rubicon Foreman TRX500FA. I've looked around and the sensor isn't that expensive and the labor seems steep. How about it folks, how much did you have to pay? Or probably did it yourself but it's winter where I live and don't have the facility to do it.
Tks, SM

Old 01-16-2017, 09:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Some shops the labor may cost twice what a part does. If you're mechanically inclined a cheap manual can save you a lot of money over the life of the atv. https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail....pair-2001-2004