Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Oil Type

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Type

4 wheeler oil works to lubricate and cool both the tranny and the engine. So, on my 87 250x, the manual says use motor oil, 10-30. Is this ok? Shouldn't I use a motorcycle oil that is engineered to do both duties?

Old 08-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Default Oil Type

what kind of 4 wheeler do u have i can create a list of recommendations 4 you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Type

You can use the oils the dealer sells for your quad , but i've always used regular Castrol GTX 10w40 in winter and 20w50 in summer on all my quads and i've never had a problem ; i just avoid the automotive oils with the energy saving labels on them !

I've owned 3 quads since 1989 , a 1986 Honda TRX350FM 4x4 , 1993 Suzuki LT4WD 300 King Quad 4x4 , and my present quad a 2006 Arctic Cat 400 FIS Auto 4x4 with the 376cc Suzuki Engine and Suzuki's Duramatic Belt Driven Clutch Tranny ; and i still use the same oil with no problems at all !

There are plenty of opions that you will get suggesting the use of synthetic oils and how much better they are than automotive oils , but it's more exspenive and they claim you don't have to change them as often as regular dino oils ; but i don't let my oil go that long between changes when the oil lookes dirty it's time for a change !

Good luck with what ever you choose to use , and welcome to the forums !.....

Old 08-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Default Oil Type

hey willie

thanks for the input [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I have a few riders that do alot of dirt and mud racing yes they use amsoil but they still change it between races they know they don't have to but they do it any way [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

the reason my guys use it is because they have used amsoil in their
own cars and trucks besides its 100% American made

But im not gonna argue about whats the best and worst i'm here to try to
help others the best i can [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer
Default Oil Type

I use valvoline atv oil. Works great and make for quads

Old 08-27-2008, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default Oil Type

allpurposeoil like you i didn't mean to say that Castrol GTX is the best oil i know Amsoil is a good product and there are many other brands that are as good on the market ; and DSCRAZY Valvoline is a great choise as well !

The only reason i suggested Castrol is that is what i've used for all my engine's for the past 30 years and it has never let me down , in fact my first atv was a 1986 Honda TRX350FM fulltime 4x4 that i bought from the original owner with just over 20 hrs ; the original owner only used Valvoline 10w40 in the Honda and i used it the first 2 oil changes !

But since i had 4 cases of Castrol GTX on hand and i used it for lawn and garden equipment and my pickup truck i switched to the Castrol , even though the Synthecis claim to go up to 7500 miles between changes ; i would never go that long before changes if the oil looks dirty it's time for me to change it !

There's a big difference between an engine that hold's 5 quarts and an engine that holds 1 , 2 . 3 to 4 qts , i go by what the oil looks , feels and smells to determine when it needs changing ; as i'm sure allpurposeoil does the same thing to determine when a change is needed !

Again i'm not trying to get anyone to use the brand i choose , there are many good oils on the market ; and oil has changed in the last 30 yrs. ; and i wouldn't be afraid to use the store brand oils on the market now but i would only warn anyone that tries any automotive oils to watch out for the oils with the Energy Saving Seals on the bottle they can cause clutch slippage on wet sump systems !.......

Old 08-27-2008, 02:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Oil Type

put GTX 20w50 for summer and 10w30 for winter

Old 08-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Oil Type

wheres recon ranger? figured he'd be all over this post like ugly on a gorilla

yeah a motor cycle oil is 'best'

but you can run any normal oil, stay away from the additive filled ones
or the energy saving ones likes they said

Old 08-29-2008, 12:50 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default Oil Type

Pick a motorcycle specific oil that is API SG/JASO MA. The SG insures that it has a descent high-pressure/anti-wear additive package (which your transmission really needs), and the MA insures that it will not make your wet clutch slip.

In most of the country, I would run 10W40 in summer, or 15W50 if you are in the very hot south. In winter, 5W30 in the forzen north, or 10W30 in the south.

If you want an economical petroleum oil or a synthetic blend, I recommend Maxima Premium or Blend. If a full synthetic, then Maxima Extra. If you want a preformance oil, then Redline or Maxima Ultra (or Maxima 530MX in very cold weather).

Old 08-29-2008, 01:04 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Quick Reply: Oil Type