Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Problem with 06 honda rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with 06 honda rubicon

I bought my rubicon in NOV 06. I've noticed with in the last month that there is a loud "clicking" sound coming from the right front. It doesn't happen all the time but seems to do it when I'm driving down the front of my yard ( slight grade, smooth) or backing up in my yards. I've also heard the noise driving on the road. My buddy came over yesterday to pin point where it is coming from. It's not coming from the suspension. It is coming from the area of the dip stick. I desbribe the noise like stepping onto bed springs/loud clicking. I took it to the dealer today but coudn't get it to make the sound. It's really loud when it does it. Doesn't do it all the time. I shut the bike off when it does it. Any one have/heard of this problem? My buddy thoght it may be a wet clutch making the noise after the bike sits for a period of time with out riding it. The dealer tech said it may be a clutch but can't do any thing until he hears it or it breaks. He told me to ride it till it breaks. My warranty expires in November 2008. I need help!

Old 08-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Welcome to the forum.

Can you describe the noise a little more? It is only when the machine is moving?

Does it have a rhythm, like maybe in time with the wheels, or the engine?

Do you get the feeling it makes the noise when the suspension moves?

I guess if it were mine I'd put it up on a jack and turn the wheels and make sure they rotate smoothly (maybe wheel bearing, U joint?), grab each tire top and bottom, and front and back and see if there's any slop.

Generally look everything over, and check for any loose fasteners, something loose in the springs, and maybe even pull the right front tire and see if there's any debris or something caught in the wheel/brakes?

Just a thought...

Old 08-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

It's a fast repetitive sound. It sounds to me like some one jumping on bed springs really fast. It's loud and can be heard away from the rubicon. It did it yesterday driving in my yard (smooth, grassy, slite grade) going about 5 mph. It has never made the noise idling or in neutral. It seems to only do it when in 2wd and a lower speed and in reverse. I've never noticed it in 4wd. It's definitly coming from the area around the dip stick. I've check suspension, tires, cracks, leaks, loose parts. Nothing. The sound is internal. It doesn't do it all the time. It just does it for maybe 30seconds then quits. What is in the area of the dip stick? My buddy thought there may be a wet clutch in there that gets dry if the bike sits for period of time. I don't even know if rubicons have them. I'm stumped and so is the dealer. Any ideas?
My buddy and I took turns putting crawling next to the bike as the other rode it listening for the noise. Both of us pointed to the same place, the "sliver" area of te dip stick.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, there is no wet clutch in this unit, only the centrifugal clutch. A few things that come to my mind since the sound is from that area : on the end of the crankshaft where the centrifugal is, there is a small bearing in the front cover. It may have debris in it. The centrifugal has a sprag bearing (one way) that may be bad. Now the automatic unit is on the other side of the case, been known to walk ahead and back a little, could be echoing that way but highly unlikely. There is a small bearing in the front cover there also. A centrifugal clutch shoe issue may be present or possably an oil pump drive chain issue.
Make sure the Rubi is full of oil and you are not hearing the transmission or oil pump cavatating from lack of oil.
Keep me posted on this one, I want to know what is found.
Make sure a Honda dealer documents the problem incase something major goes out after your units warranty has ended. That way an after warranty authorization to fix it can be obtained from their DSM.

----- Gimpster -----

Old 08-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

It has plenty of oil. I'm lost as to the problem. The service manager said drive it till it breaks. They can't replace a non broken part. Hoepfully it will do it continously so it can be fixed. I'll keep you posted.