Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

wrecked the rancher, now it wont shift

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrecked the rancher, now it wont shift

New to the forums. This bike is actually my dads. Its a 2002 i believe rancher 400es. went for a ride yesterday and unfortunately he rolled it off a pretty big hill. Bike did about 4 or 5 complete flips managing to somehow only bend the bars, well smash the bars...and rear rack. At the time it wouldnt shift down so we had to manually shift it down to N to start it and he rode it home and was able to shift up. Got it home and now it only sometimes shifts up and the N light sometimes blinks 3 times and sometimes blinks 8 times.

Ive researched on here and sounds like an angle sensor. so i pulled the sensor and did an ohm test on it but i cant find on here what the resistance should be, if anyone could help that would be great. Also took apart the shifter buttons to inspect them and a little white piece of plastic fell out but after looking and looking could not find where it came from. I completely disassembled the whole things and everything seems to be working fine. Is there any way to test the buttons? Like maybe the wires coming out?

sorry to drag this on but there was a hose hanging off the bike after the crash going into the rear differential. after looking under the seat i found a plastic T that was missing a hose with the same type of fluid leaking from it so i plugged it back in but it was still missing one more hose on the T. could not find it anywhere. Anyone know what it is and what it does or have some kind of diagram for that. thanks again

Old 09-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes code #3 & 8 are angle sensor codes ..

Here is the test for the shift buttons..
================================================== ================================================== ==========================

================================================== ================================================== ==========================
Here is the test for the angle sensor , the sweep test is best done with an old type analog meter..

Old 09-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I dont have the bike with me, its at my parents so i cant run any of those tests on it just yet. I do have the angle sensor with me and did an ohm test on it off the bike, one side read .2 and the other side read 5.9 so i went to order a new one and nobody can find the part, anyone have the part number or know where to get the angle sensor for a 98 rancher 400es.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

Are you sure of either the year, model or engine size?

In 1998 there was no rancher just the 300 2x4 or 4x4, the first Rancher was the 350. If its a 1998 and a 400cc bike its a Foreman 400, and not es. If its a 1998 and an ES then its most likely a Foreman 450ES. If its some other year, its probably a Rancher 350 ES.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

its definately a rancher es. I remember it saying Rancher on the side. And ive rode it, its an es. Might have the year and size wrong though......i found the part off a website from a 98 450es ....wonder if its the same part, hope so. What year did they come out with the rancher 350es. thats probably it, ive always thought it was a 2000 but he dont know

Old 09-05-2008, 06:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda made the TRX350FE from 2000 until 2006 ...