Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

TRX cooling fan

Old 09-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRX cooling fan

How hot does the bike have to get before the cooling fan will come on. I was riding it yesterday for a couple of hours and fan didn't come on at all. outside temp was around 28 to 30 c . I think the temp warning light works it comes on when you turn the key and the goes out after a few seconds.
03 Trx 350 fe

Thanks

Old 09-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TRX cooling fan

The fan will seldom come on ..

Old 09-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default TRX cooling fan

I ride So. Calif., one of the hotest places in the country. The fan on my 350 has come on maybe three times in 10 years....

Old 09-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default TRX cooling fan

Exactly...
I have turned the idle up to around 2000 rpms on units in the shop and let them run trying to get the fan to kick in with no luck in 70ish degree building temps with no luck. Now working the quad hard like pushing snow, hauling heavy loads at higher rpms will make it run. If you are riding the quad and the fan does not come on during short rides, it's probably a good thing. The engine will last forever under these riding conditions.
Count your blessings as I have seen foot shift models with no fans that have been worked to death. And I mean death... no fan to give the oil extra cooling will fry clutches, sieze pistons and pull head studs from the engine crankcases on the rocker side.
If you are not sure if the fan system works, disconnect the oil sender wire, left side rear of the plastic engine cover and ground it with the key turned on. The fan should run

----- Gregg -----

Old 09-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Trailblazer
Default TRX cooling fan

I went for another ride today was gone for about 3 hours and left it running even when I stopped for a bit and it did come on after about 2 1/2 hours so I now know it works but after reading your replies I'm a little worried about it getting to hot
Again Thanks for your help
I know alot of stupid question I ask but I just don't want to destroy engine

Old 09-02-2008, 02:00 AM
Red Rider
Default TRX cooling fan

Running thicker oil, will help prevent damage if it is actually running hot. I would suggest ester synthetic Maxima Extra 15W50.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:41 AM
Trailblazer
Default TRX cooling fan

Thanks for help, I am not sure if it is really getting hot or if its just me thinking it is but it feels really hot on my legs when riding slow or stopped I don't know maybe it is just me, but the fan did come on once today for about 5 mins
Thanks again

Old 09-02-2008, 03:49 AM
Trailblazer
Default TRX cooling fan

I know this is a complete different bike. But my 300EX will run Super hot on anything but 89 or lower octane gas. If I use 93 it gets so hot after a couple hours of creek crossings that the Stator cover will burn my ankle...

Sooo.... I Coated the Entire Exhaust with 2k temp ceramic coating then wrapped it with header tape... Lined the underside of my gas tank with the Thickest aluminum foil I could find (used Spray on industrial adhesive, then slowly conformed the foil to the bottom of the tank and trimmed off excess..) did the same with the under side of my Plastics and the Stock plastic heatsheild..
This and running 89, has dropped my operating temps Dramaticly!.

But now after doing a couple 8 hour nonstop rides through Spring creek and all the trails I can find. Ive noticed my temps are coming back up, Due to excessive engine loading through Very deep sand and mud... So now my next step is adding on a 400ex oil cooler and some ducting around the engine.. Similar to whats commercially avalible...
Ive also considerd drilling some small 1/32th holes verticly through the cooling fins on the head to give A substantiall increase in surface area for heat to radiate from. But not enough to reduce the rigidity of the cooling fines.. I know all about the XRonly's Big head mod. But are unwilling to spend that kind of cash on a 300ex I got for free and that I beat to death, every other day.

Anyways, Figure between the 2, I shouldnt have anymore heat issues... Its just a matter of making shure the engine will actually come up to operating temp and not exceed 240* under the most demanding trails I can throw at it...

Start looking into ways of dissapating heat faster and more efficently.
If your worried about heat issues. Dropping Octane is the Fastest and by far easyest way to drop engine heat. 87 octane is just fine for a stock compression engine.. From the testing I have done there is only a 7mph difference between 93,89 and 87 gas, Now dont get me wrong. there is a Minor low end tourqe loss also. But considering engine heat is the life of your oil which in turn is the life of the engine... Ill take the minor loss in power for reliability...

Sorry for the Long post, That shot of southern comfort has kicked in and got me rambleing on...

GL with your heat issues..

Old 09-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Red Rider
Default TRX cooling fan

Another thought.....your Rancher has an oil cooler (little radiator looking thing in front of the fan). Be sure the cooler is clean and nothing is obstructing the air flow.

Actually, it looks like a pretty good size cooler (considering that the engine only holds ~2 quarts of oil to begin with), and that is probably why the fan rarely needs to come on (???).

Old 09-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Red Rider
Default TRX cooling fan

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Gimpster

Count your blessings as I have seen foot shift models with no fans that have been worked to death. And I mean death... no fan to give the oil extra cooling will fry clutches, sieze pistons and pull head studs from the engine crankcases on the rocker side.<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>

Not quite sure what you mean there, given that my 4X4 00 Rancher 350 is foot shift, has an oil cooler, and a fan!!!

I did have an 01 2wd at one time (foot shift of course), and as I recall it did not have a fan (not sure about the oil cooler????)....is that perhaps what you actually mean????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TRX cooling fan