Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Gimpster(rubicon clutch)

Old 09-04-2008, 02:19 PM
TIC
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gimpster(rubicon clutch)

Is this a job a normal man can handle in his garage with his craftsman tools?
Do you have any suggestions where to even look for a clutch kit and or some instructions>

Thanks
2002 RUBICON- have a found a deal on some 27" tires and 14" rims.
Was just thinking ahead.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be able to tackle the job yourself. A clutch puller will be needed though (40mmx1.5 pitch male thread).
Here's a link for the kit
If you need any more stall, drilling the weights to lighten them for more stall can be done also.
Getting to the clutch is easy, remove the footwells, inner fenderwells and footewll support braces, oil tank (drain oil first), shift linkage, shift motor, left side engine cover and support brace, front cover bolts and front cover.
Keep track of 2 dowell pins and oil joint pipe btween the cover and engine. Pull the clutch after unstaking the center nut. Compress the outer plate to relieve tention against the 6 c-clips. (I use c-clamps for this, actually those small aluminum clamps that quick clamp a topper to a pickup bed) Remove the clips, plate, clutch cone spring. With a small vice grip or screwdriver, disconnect the springs from the clutch weights. Install new springs and reassemble the clutch. Make sure when installing the clutch that the one way bearing in the clutch drum has the letters stamped in it reading "outside" facing toward you. ind of twist the clutch assembly to set it into the one way. Torque on the clutch nut is 87 foot pounds, and then stake it. Clean the engine and case cover mating surface and reseal (I use Hondabond HT, it is not runny like Hondabond 4 and easier to work with. make sure dowells and oil joint pipe are in place and install the cover. Reinstall all removed parts. Fill with oil.
This should help the Rubicon with 27" tires on it by lifting the take off RPMs.

edit: try t avoid standing this unit on it's tail during this service. The cam has an oil tray inwhic it rests that will empty. When the bike is restarted the cam is dry and may become damaged along with cam followers)

----- Gimpster -----

Old 09-04-2008, 05:06 PM
TIC
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your time and your response. Im dealing with a craigslist seller right now. We are talking price. He informed me the stock muffler would not work with these 14" rims and 27"tires...

So yes I may get a good deal on tires and rims.. I still have to add in all other cost. Im sure a 2" lift would fix my problems instead of aftermarket "skinny" exaughst. And then of course the cost of the clutch kit.

I may be money ahead to just get to rims and tires in 25 inch.

Any way thanks again for your time. You have helped a great deal once again.