Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

New or Used?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New or Used?

So, I'm thinking of getting into the ATV riding. I've been searching around and I'm undecided to buy new or used. I can get a new Rancher 420 from the local Honda dealer for around 4,000. All the used ones I have found are in the mid to upper 2,000 range for a decent looking 300-400 size. I found a 350 4x4 for 2400 but it has 5000 miles on it, I'm just worried that it may just cause problems. Everyone seems to like the 420 and for what I would be doing it seems to suit my needs. I would just be trail riding, taking the wife and/or kids for a ride. I've wanted one for awhile now. What do you all think would be the best option. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New or Used?

The 350 is a nice machine, but really needs a Warn 424 to really reach its potential.

The 420 however, is improved in every way possible, except weight and prehaps an inch of ground clearance. The suspension is better, the power is better, the handling is better....they took a great quad, and improved on it!

So, the extra money for a new 420 should be worth it for most folks! I did keep one of my Rancher 350's, because other family members have come to love it, but for me it is just my "beater quad" these days.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default New or Used?

I guess I'd have to agree. The 300 and 400's were reliable, but not nearly as snappy as the 420.

When I was shopping, it seemed to me that you had to get a pretty old machine to save all that much, considering that new machines have better suspension, a warranty, and you know how it's been treated.

Bottom line for me, if you can afford it go new. If you can't, then a used 300 is way better than no machine.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default New or Used?

Its a hard call, honda' s tend to hold their value pretty good which means higher priced bikes when buying used, but also that a used bike will be nearly as reliable as brand new. Power train wise you probably wont have any trouble especially if you stay away from ES (electric shift) bikes and get a bike that was well maintained. Stuff like tires, brakes and wheel bearings are all normal wear items on any bike.

If your not sure if your going to stay in this sport buying used will see you loose less money if you sell a bike a year or 2 later.

Buying new will cost you more initially but your getting a better bike for sure, all components updated, larger liquid cooled engine....just about everything is better, and the old 350 Rancher was a fantastic stout bike.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New or Used?

420 got 6,5 under the rear axel and the 350 7,2 but under the quad, is the 420 got the same of the 350?

Old 09-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Range Rover
Default New or Used?

If money is a problem, don't be afraid of a used Honda. Mechanically they are a sound machine. Just check it out to make sure it has not been abused. Check for bent parts or frame. Ask dealer for previous owner's name and phone number. Ask them about the condition of the machine.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New or Used?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: abitibiquebec

420 got 6,5 under the rear axel and the 350 7,2 but under the quad, is the 420 got the same of the 350?</end quote></div>

On the 350, they tucked the brake into the dish on the back of he wheel. On the new 420, they moved the brake back into the middle, next to the differential. This is how it also was on the old 300, and I assume that Honda had a very good reason for doing it (???).

Anyway, the result is a little loss of ground clearance in the differential area. As for clearance under the frame, it should be basically identical. I rode snow last winter with a variety of machines from an old 300 to the latest feature laden IRS big bores (with lockers), and they didn't get any further up the trail than I did when the snow was a yard deep (the stock tires do kind of suck in the snow however!), so I can't really figure out what the big deal is....