Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda 450r questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Shapeshifter Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda 450r questions

Overall how good of a quad?How does it compare to other 450s?And if I buy a 05-07 can I put the plastics of the 08 blue and black on it?The schematic for the plastics looked complicated.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 04-05, is somewhat different from the 06 and later models. Plastic, frame geometry, engine, etc. I have the 04, and it has a longer stroke than the later models, so it has a bit more low end power. Plus, it has an oil cooler, which the later models do not have.

All the 450's are way oversquare and like to rev! None of them like to go slow, so they aren't the hot setup for tight, technical trails. Mine goes 25 mph in 1st gear! The HRC kit, is the most bang for your buck, and will net lots of extra mid and high end power.

All the 450 "thumpers" have little slipper pistons, so they tolerate a lot of compression blow-by, so they need frequent oil changes (fortunately the engine and transmisson oils are seperated on the Honda...God bless them!), and can benefit from frequent valve adjustments.

Read about these engine technology here: http://www.belray.com/scripts/...41d7-b921-64a4cf6d0144

Old 09-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

so 04-05 the way to go?what is the hrc kit?

Old 09-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Red Rider

Continued.....handling is superb! I can rail high speed desert sweeper turns like the quad is on rails. Slow speed handling is excellent as well (but again that engine does not want to be lugged down).

I have stock suspension, and it is perfectly tuned so I can bash huge desert whoops without slowing down. As darn near a perfect desert quad as I can imagine!

Old 09-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Red Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: scrambler400enoge

so 04-05 the way to go?what is the hrc kit?</end quote></div>

There are desert race teams, who will not run anything but the 04/05, becasue of the better cooling.

The HRC kit is Honda's power up kit. It has a cam, exhaust parts, airbox lid, etc. It is really the most bang for your buck. The fastest 450 I know of is a stock 06, with nothing but the HRC.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

Why would they get rid of the oil cooler?And how often would you have to change the oil?Valve adjustments I understand.Besides the HRC kit what else could be done to make the stock machine better?

Old 09-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts

They added electric start after '04-'05, so to save on weight they removed the oil cooler.
I have an '04 but I've done more than just the HRC kit. I added a Hotcam Stage II, ported and polished the head, full Yoshimura exhaust, cut airbox lid (HRC style) and rejetted. I also went to an Athena 480 big bore. I love the power!

Old 09-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Red Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: scrambler400enoge

Why would they get rid of the oil cooler?And how often would you have to change the oil?Valve adjustments I understand.Besides the HRC kit what else could be done to make the stock machine better?</end quote></div>

I always run a high quality ester synthetic oil (Redline or Maxima Ultra), and always keep it to a max of 5 hours or less between changes. Remember, on a fast machine like this, especially in the open desert where I ride, 5 hours can be a whole lot of miles!!! Remember too, the engine and trans oils are seperated, and it is not necessary to change the trans oil every time you change the engine oil.....

Some good oil info: http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

A tip for the wise here....I am seeing an increase in performance, running Redline oil!!! It is very slick (JASO MB), and my engine revs up faster and easier running this oil. This means better performance and fuel economy. It is however, expensive.

The 06 and later engine is more like the dirt bike (CRF450X), which has no oil cooler either. I think they found that they overbuilt the 04/05, and it really wasn't necessary, so they just switched over to make things simple. The 06 and later machines, are a little faster than the earlier ones.

I have the HRC kit and the basic mods, but nothing internal like piston or anything like that...and mine goes way faster than I usually ever care to go.....

Old 09-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

that pretty much sums it up. note on the piston- honda uses or use to use in earlier models a 28mm longer skirt and they added a third ring.

i have an 04 as well. i bought mine from the regional distributer so i was one of the first to get it in the state. im glad they "overbuilt" the earlier models b/c i havent had any trouble with mine. its getting close to the 5yr old mark and still going very strong with no hints of an issue. mine doesnt have the HRC kit, so my first gear and low end are more tolerable than those with the HRC kits. i have ridden nearly every terrain with it (except mud - which it will never see) and its done pretty well. ive even done technical stuf with it. its no 250R in handling, but it is predicatble enough. it will get "squirrely" at higher speeds though.

if i could change it i would move the engine in the fram a littel forward to help keep the front down and have a more balanced feel and have that rear shock revalved from the factory; it isnt valved correctly. the fronts are excellent. they are about good as OEM shocks are going to get, and dare i say, near as good as my elkas. and respond to the slightest adjustments.

give it estart and efi. now these are not essential but it makes life easier. it does start fairly easy but hrs out in the hot humid days of riding its nice to hit a button. goki does make an estart kit for it which its not pretty but i heard of no complaints plus it leaves the kickstarter in place, increases oil capacity by 18% and adapts a screw on oil filter. id love to have that and the 480 kit.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:58 AM
Shapeshifter Rider

Got another question is neutral hard to find?

Quick Reply: Honda 450r questions