Any negatives on Honda ATVs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 05:36 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any negatives on Honda ATVs?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: xzachx2112
BUT if you want a bigger ATV (4 or 500+ CC) well, myu opinion is that there are better larger ATVs than Hondas. Hondas can be good if you want something big thats basic but if I were getting a larger ATV I would probably go with a yamaha so I could get it fully loaded with fuel injection. IRS, power steering and most important, Locking Diffs.</end quote></div>

Perhaps Honda has deliberately chosen not to play the "feature laden big bore" game??? Meanwhile, the Rancher is the best selling quad for the last decade (and the 300 before that!)....because that is what the majority of buyers actually want....a sweet handling, resonably priced, mid-size machine in the 400 class!

While there are those who will whine endlessly that Honda isn't falling into lock step with all the other "cookie cutter" machine manufacturers out there....Honda is laughing all the way to the bank. Maybe Honda is the real inovator here, and all the other manufacuturers are just following eachother along like a bunch of sheep????

Old 09-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF you want to truly compare ATV's, read the post on the other Makes. Note the questions related to problems, this will show you some insight into the Durability, Ride, and model choice for your needs. People are going to support their decisions on the model that that ride, for various reasons, yet read between the lines. Honda is a solid choice I agree with a lot of what Reconranger has stated. Also, note that power steering on an ATV can be dangerous, over-steer is common and will flip the unit, which is not something that the rider will walk away from on many cases.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

I have owned 12 Hondas, and besides having to replace the rear bearings on an 8 year old 400EX (probably actually my own fault), I have not had a problem with any of them.

I would however say that a wise buyer would do best to avoid the flawed ES shifting system on the Recon, Rancher, and Foreman 500.

I have to point out that I am **** retentive about maintenance, and I have always run premium high-tech ester synthetic oils from Redline and Maxima!</end quote></div>

Mind you this is just an opinion of one on the ES models. I personally would hardly call them flawed. I have owned several and never had a problem. Just my .02

Old 09-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lefty1

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

I have owned 12 Hondas, and besides having to replace the rear bearings on an 8 year old 400EX (probably actually my own fault), I have not had a problem with any of them.

I would however say that a wise buyer would do best to avoid the flawed ES shifting system on the Recon, Rancher, and Foreman 500.

I have to point out that I am **** retentive about maintenance, and I have always run premium high-tech ester synthetic oils from Redline and Maxima!</end quote></div>

Mind you this is just an opinion of one on the ES models. I personally would hardly call them flawed. I have owned several and never had a problem. Just my .02</end quote></div>

Well, this wasn't just my own idea.....all one has to do is monitor the ES problem posts here in this and every other forum, and it is clear that this system does not live up to Honda's usualy reputation for being essentially bulletproof.

True, of the thousands of machines out there, maybe only a handful are having problems, but if you follow the forums it is by far the most frequent single problem post there is!!! Just so every prospective buyer knows that going in.....and they know it is a calculated risk.

I just can't figure out why everyone wants to give Honda a free ride on this one! They won't fix it until they get enough bad press about the problem!

Old 09-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Trailblazer

Just because it is not on the internet does not make it the only "common" problem....