Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Any negatives on Honda ATVs?

Old 09-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any negatives on Honda ATVs?

I'm looking into a Honda - and haven't read many negative things on the product and/or service. Does anyone have problems with theirs or have heard negative reviews? thanks

Old 09-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Well, I think you may need to be a little more specific if you looking for problems on a specific atv or all around. Honda has a good reputation for being great quality but, all have problems here and there. Some dis them for being behind the times and not innovating for the sake of quality. I think that comes down to what your looking for.

As far a service goes dealership service can be terrible no matter what brand. It all depends on the people.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned 12 Hondas, and besides having to replace the rear bearings on an 8 year old 400EX (probably actually my own fault), I have not had a problem with any of them.

I would however say that a wise buyer would do best to avoid the flawed ES shifting system on the Recon, Rancher, and Foreman 500.

I have to point out that I am **** retentive about maintenance, and I have always run premium high-tech ester synthetic oils from Redline and Maxima!

Old 09-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

If you dont mind servicing brakes the drum brakes on the older models will serve you well, if you want a machine to ride and not worry about anything look for disc brakes.

The ES system is OK, if buying new i'd di-electric grease every electrical connector, seems it prevents alot of headaches in the future.

If looking at IRS the Rincon is your choice if buying used, it doesnt have a very low gear which is a negative in some people's eyes.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'd say Honda has well engineered products which will last a long time if maintained. As noted above the ES seems to be better now than older versions, but I think the diaelectric grease would be good advice.

The other thing I think Honda could improve would be keeping up with other brands in the features department. They were slow in offering machines that shift between 2wd/4wd, still run drum brakes in some models, and they only have one IRS machine (the Rincon) which lacks a low gear.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Red Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JeffinTD
and they only have one IRS machine</end quote></div>

......and now the new Rancher 420AT....for those who insist.

This machine looks like it will have some kind of revolutionary new transmission (????). On paper anyway, it looks like it will be way heavy for a 400 class machine however.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Red Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: muddynick

I'm looking into a Honda - and haven't read many negative things on the product and/or service. Does anyone have problems with theirs or have heard negative reviews? thanks</end quote></div>

It would be helpfull is you could be specific about what type of machine you are looking for. For example, the 450's (all the 450's, not just the Honda), need frequent oil changes. We could mention specifics like that, if we know what you are actually interested in.....

Old 09-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Range Rover

My opinion is that Honda ATVs are very reliable and very tough. if your looking for a 250 or 350 you cant go wrong with a Honda. BUT if you want a bigger ATV (4 or 500+ CC) well, myu opinion is that there are better larger ATVs than Hondas. Hondas can be good if you want something big thats basic but if I were getting a larger ATV I would probably go with a yamaha so I could get it fully loaded with fuel injection. IRS, power steering and most important, Locking Diffs.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer

Just jump to the different forums for discussions on the different brands, this will kind of give you the things to watch for on the different brands. I really enjoy my new rancher 420ES. Not a single problem.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:53 PM

when i raced flat track on motorcyclesi hated honda , but when i started riding atvs i feel n love with them , they r dependable and tough . the ride is not as smooth on some of the older bikes as the competition and most dont have alot of ground clearance , but theyget u where u want to go if u can hang on

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any negatives on Honda ATVs?