Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Help! I can't get my chain off!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! I can't get my chain off!!

I have a 1991 Honda TRX 200. Its really a nice bike, but it's very much time to clean the chain. I've cleaned off every link and for the life of me can't find the master link!! What does it look like? I've cleaned off every link by hand to where I can see the lettering on the side of each, and some say DID others "Japan" and other have some number then either V5 or V6. I can't find any clips, designs or ANYTHING to indicate a master link. I've looked for a total of 4 hours, and even had my father look twice, and he swears like I do, every link is identical. Absolutely no cosmetic differences other than the numbers or DID or Japan on the side.

Can anybody PLEASE tell me how to get this chain off!???? THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Old 10-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

go buy a chain break tool from your local atv shop about $20.00 bucks and use it to take a link out of the chain ..If u plan to reuse the old chain pick up a master link as well ...be shure to see if your chain is oring or not ,becouse the master links arn't interchangable...if it is oring it will have little rubber rings in each link

hope this helps ......also the master link clip could be on the back side of the chain if I rember corectly that model has a chain guard so youll probally need to use a mirror to see the back side of the chain

Old 10-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Factory Honda chains are continuous...no master link! Chain tools are cheap.

Better yet, as old as that thing is it's time for a new chain, and probably sprockets as well!!! It's a good investment, and will save you getting stuck out on the trail some day....

Old 10-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Motion Pro makes a great little chain breaker for like $25.00 or less...... works perfect and is worth every penny......

Old 10-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

It's definitely an o ring chain. How do I go about purchasing a chain tool? Or more specifically, how do I know which master link to get? Tell them what year and model bike it is and they know everything else?

Old 10-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

For chain tools, see Rocky Mountain ATV.

Am I right that this is the original chain???? I suspect it is, because it is continuous. Anybody replacing a stock one, would have gotten a chain with a master link.

Again, don't dick around with that tired old chain. Just get a new one that will have a master link, and be done with all the fussing. Just cut the old chain off, so you won't need a chain tool.