Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

No spark on my ATV

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark on my ATV

I have a used Honda ATV 4x4 and I'm not getting any spark on the plug. I checked the ignition coil with an ohm meter and it's good. Anyone have any ideas where I should look next? Mind you, the battery is new. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well first thing what year and model do you have , since you posted in the Honda section i'm assuming it's a Honda ; but the year and model will help out alot !

But to start off i would try a new sparkplug it could be bad , then check the run/kill switch on handle bar there could be corrotion inside the switch ; if that's not it you'll need to start tracing the electrical wiring harness for loose connecters and wire's with the plastic coating rubbed off causing a short !

This will require removing the plastic's to get access to all the wiring harness and connector's , with the plastic's off it will be alot easier to access all the wiring ; you said you checked the coil ? Did you check the coil from the sparkplug boot/ i ask this because i worked on a polaris sportman 500HO for a friend a few yrs ago and the coil checked out good but on the conuity test from the coil to plug wire it was bad !

My friend had let half a dozen guy's that worked at his wreaking yard work on it before he thought of me and they had him spend over $1,000 replacing everything but the coil , and in the end it turned out to be a $2.00 coil wire ; so check these things first and i hope it's a cheap fix for you !

And welcome to the forums , if i can't help there are many other members here who know a lot more than i do !......

Old 10-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I check the plug wire and it was good. Its a 1995 Honda 4tracx foreman. The stator was replaced once. Now it has no spark again. What could cause the stator to go bad again? Any ideas?
Thanks.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing other than a wire with the rubber worn off causing a short ciruit , or a bad voltage regulator thats putting out the wrong voltage to cause this problem ; i don't have a manual so i can't give you the spec's on what the voltage should be !.........

Old 11-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

has it been sitting up ? or serious mudding involved?