Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

New 250x Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 250x Owner

Hi guys. I've been reading a lost of posts here over the last couple weeks since I've been looking for an old 250x to play with. Well, I found one and I'm very pleased with it. It's a bit rough around the edges (fenders are a little beat-up) but it's had a lot of work done to it and I swear this little 250 has more power than our Polaris 500's. It's a LOT of fun to drive... so here's what it's got:

Web cam, rebuilt carb with Dyno jets, rebuilt head, high-compression piston, FMF exhaust, new chain and lower-geared sprockets, extended front end with 400ex shocks, extended rear axle, nerf bars, new tires (very beefy tires on the back), K&N filter...

I've never ridden a "sport" quad, I'm used to our big Polaris 4x4's, but this thing is an absolute blast to ride. Much quicker, handles better, and for the type of riding we do I'm convinced it would go just about anywhere the 4x4's go.

But, there are a couple "problems" with it I wanted to address. First, when they rebuilt the carb they didn't put the choke back on and it's quite a bear to start when it's cold. Did this even come with a choke? And where could I find one to put back on it? Second, the shifter feels very "light" as in, when you go in and out of neutral, it clicks, but when you go up through the gears you just bump the shift lever up and you don't feel a click or anything... is that normal, or is something loose somewhere? Everything on the bike seems to work fine, otherwise. Also, I'm thinking I might want to swap the muffler for something quieter for when I'm going through the woods. What's a good muffler that won't kill the power but might actually, ya know, muffle the noise a bit?

Thanks guys

Old 10-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default New 250x Owner

Ryan,
I have an 87 250X. I'm not sure how different it is than the 92 but I can tell you a few things about mine. It has what is called an accelerator pump in the carb. I have a choke but because of the pump, I never have to use the choke. I simply pump the throttle about 5 times, then leave it at idle and kick start it (the 87 didn't have elec. start) and it idles right away without quitting. Also, I agree that it is quick and a blast to ride. Mine is stock everything. I had a White Bros. cam in it but I went back to stock. Also, if you can find an OEM muffler, that might be the way to go. The shifter on mine is light too. It is sometimes hard to find neutral. But it shifts fine and everything.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default New 250x Owner

I'm sure partially to blame for the hard starting is the fact that this thing had been sitting for a couple months. I haven't had the chance to clean the carb or put a new plug in it or any other simple maintenance yet. It might come around.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default New 250x Owner

fresh fuel prob wont hurt either ,And I love my 400ex front shocks on my 87 250x even though I did it with stock a arms

Old 10-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Trailblazer
Default New 250x Owner

Quick update-

After tearing into some things, I did find that I do have a choke... the little plastic ring that connects the choke lever to the rod/butterfly was broken and so the choke couldn't be opened or closed. In fact, it looked like it was in a constant "half choke" position. Did a quick & dirty fix on that so I have a functional choke for now. I also cleaned the K&N filter that was on it and WOW it was like I dumped a chocolate milkshake when I hosed it off. Works much better now. I had the opportunity to really wind the thing out on Sunday after cleaning it up and man does it fly.

Now I just need to find a quieter muffler that hopefully won't kill the power or screw up the jetting in the carb. My father told me I'm not allowed on his land with the thing if it's going to be that loud! :-P