Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

New here with an 07 450r

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 01:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here with an 07 450r

Hey whats up everyone, I am john and I ride a fully stock 450r

I will be doing some things to the quad this winter suspension, pipe, tires what ever the budget will allow to be done. I dont wanna mess with the engine to much I dont wanna make it a pain to start or keep running. First I would like to change out the stock tires that are junk (dunlop) I hear alot of good things about the IPS holeshot tires being great and the razr's.

Besides tires and a new pipe what should I do? whats this open top airbox stuff? doesnt that bring on a pretty good risk of sucking in more dirt or water?

whats this porting of the head?

Never really did many upgrades before I picked up this quad but would like to get this one setup fully.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what I did to my R....

Protection-Nerf bars, full chassis and swingarm skid plates, bumper.

Tires/wheels-ITP Holeshot XC's on ITP Baja rims (I ride desert). The rims and tires are wider than stock, and the rims have a greater offset. So, the quad ends up something like +3-4" wider, for a nice increase in stability!!!

Suspension-The R has great suspension already...but you have to patiently take the time to tune it properly! It is a waste of money to replace it, unless you are a top level motocrosser. If you just can't get them tuned to your satisfaction, you can send them to WorksPerformance, and they can put on custom springs, and revalve them for your weight and riding conditions.

Engine- EHS Racing airbox lid with Outerwears, ProDesign (ProFlow) adapter and foam air filter (NO K&N!), FMF PowerBomb Header (better yet the MegaBomb if available) and Factory 4 muffler (I would do the quieter Q4 if I had it to do over again). And of course a rejet.

The HRC kit will give you the most bang for your buck! This is probably the best single mod you can make!!! It will net you mostly mid and top end, but won't hurt your bottom end. It comes with a header and you uncork the stock muffler. The fastest R I know, is stock except for the HRC kit!!!

Oil- You want to run a friction modified performance ester synthetic oil on your engine side, and change it often. I highly recommend Redline (very slick JASO MB!), but Maxima Ultra and 530MX (in cold weather) are good choices as well. In the trans side, Redline 80W MC Gear Oil with Shockproof.

Misc- TAG Metals handlebars.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Red Rider

Running the right oil, can increase your performance! Although I have not verified this on the dyno, I am seeing a torque/horsepower increase, running the very slick JASO MB Redline oil!!!

Why you need to change your oil often-

http://www.belray.com/scripts/...1d7-b921-64a4cf6d0144

Some good oil reads-

http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_oil/index.html

http://www.maximausa.com/techn...news/LubeNews2002.pdf

http://www.p1-performance.com/pdf/oildoc.pdf

Old 11-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info reconranger I will read the oil reads here shortly.

As far as the HRC kit giving me more mid & high that would be fine with me., if I got a little more on the low end that would be fine as well.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

The stock suspension on the TRX is horrible! A single rate spring up front, they do the job but definitely nothing compared to some aftermarket. The rear is notorious for kicking up. Even if you tighten it all the way the back end likes to kick. A GT Thunder rear linkage with the stock shock in the back makes a HUGE difference. If you can, change your suspension. The people who tell you that the R has great shocks have never ridden something with some Elkas or Fox.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Red Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Stoopidbot

The stock suspension on the TRX is horrible! A single rate spring up front, they do the job but definitely nothing compared to some aftermarket. The rear is notorious for kicking up. Even if you tighten it all the way the back end likes to kick. A GT Thunder rear linkage with the stock shock in the back makes a HUGE difference. If you can, change your suspension. The people who tell you that the R has great shocks have never ridden something with some Elkas or Fox.</end quote></div>

I felt the same way, until I took the better part of a day tuining it! I went out to a huge desert whoops section, and rode through it many times, and made fine adjustments each run. I now can bash through the whoops at full throtle, and leave everybody else in the dust...because they have to slow down!

Like I said, WorksPerformance will custom spring and valve them for you if necessary. I know it's "cool" to have "aftermarket suspension" but, it is just throwing away money.......

Old 11-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

I guess it really depends on your riding style if the stock suspension will be well suited for you. I can see the stock shocks working well in the desert if finely tuned. In the mountains with the nasty rock sections the quad bounces everywhere. I will have a set of FOX shocks on mine around Christmas. Like stated before, it really depends on your style.