Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda rincon wont rev

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I have been reading up on your posts here. Thanks for tips and advice. I picked up a 05 Rincon and she would not go over 17 mph. With you help here i Diagnosed it down to the cam. the Exhaust cam was well below specs. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Help!! Still wont go over 17mph

Originally Posted by tbonegreek
Hi I have been reading up on your posts here. Thanks for tips and advice. I picked up a 05 Rincon and she would not go over 17 mph. With you help here i Diagnosed it down to the cam. the Exhaust cam was well below specs. Thanks.
New cam installed. Compression test 148 psi. New spark plug. No codes on dashboard. Still no power.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Anyone solved this mystery ? Rincon not reving?

I am having this same problem .. and yet have found a solution ... changed the plug, tried a different CDI box, cleaned the fuel pump screen filter, air filter, injector ... Not looked at the cams yet ... the power seemed to diminish over a 2 month period of time and not all of a sudden ...

Old 05-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by ebertdj
I am having this same problem .. and yet have found a solution ... changed the plug, tried a different CDI box, cleaned the fuel pump screen filter, air filter, injector ... Not looked at the cams yet ... the power seemed to diminish over a 2 month period of time and not all of a sudden ...
All the research I have done is pointing to the O-rings in the oil pump.
They go bad and not allow oil pressure build up in the oil pump.

I need to change mine out when i get the time.
Good luck.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks.... I checked the valve movement today .. exhaust looks good but the intake moves only 3-4mm NOT good ... Ordered a new cam shaft ...

Old 06-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Took the cam shaft out .. in intake lobe was wore out !! Changed the cam and all good now ! Thanks for all your help

Old 06-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by maicobreako
I'm trying to diagnose some poor engine performance on an 03 rincon. The engine starts easily and idles fine ,but when you accelerate in drive at about quarter throttle and up it almost feels like the ignition timing isnt advancing, it burgles and pops and wont go over 30mph. It will shift through the gears both in auto and in ESP, it feels like its hitting a low rpm rev limiter. I even put the machine on stands and ran it with the wheels of the ground (no load in drive,) and still only went about 30 mph and ran rough.(through the gears as well)
When the engine is warm and in neutral it seems to rev out fine but still not smoothly and clean. I 've checked the connection at the ECM, and most connectors (all clean and tight) . I changed the spark plug, checked the carb (twice), drained the tank , fresh fuel, air filter is clean ,checked the ignition timing with timing light (all ok),
There are no trouble codes displayed and none in the memory, this machine has only 1200 miles and is babied! Am I missing something here?
Im good friends with the service manager at the local shop so I have aceess to some manuals and free advice ,without the shop rate.
But so far we havent found anything obvious, Im suspecting the ECM, but from what Ive read the only way to verify this is to replace it with a known good one.
Please help

Check your choke and choke linkage