Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher 420AT Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rancher 420AT Review

The January issue of ATV Action, has a very favorable review of the Rancher AT!

Honda surprisingly hasn't really been pushing the unique technical aspects of this machine and its totally new transmission, so I have been wondering about a few things. This article cleared a few of them up.....

The AT has a slightly different engine. The intake valves are 38mm and exhaust 33mm (vs 35 and 30 on the standard Rancher). The cam is hotter, and compression is higher. This all results in a couple extra horsepower (needed to haul around the extra weight of the automatic transmission and IRS rear end). Anybody else thinking they would like to put this head on their current standard Rancher????

The transmission is like nothing else in ATVing! It is actually in two gears at the same time, and all it takes is a seamless switch in which clutch is engaged to "shift" gears.

Honda also keeps their suspension tight, so there isn't the ridiculous amount of body roll and that mushy handling, that you get with current crop of big bore(ing) IRS machines. In an attempt to create a cushy ride (for the aging baby boomer market), other manufacturers have lost sight of issues like safe handling when off-camber and cornering ability.

Ah....if it were only lighter. Honda has to keep the price down on these machines, so there aren't many alloy parts like you would find on a higher end machine. Even alloy wheels would help considerably.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the point youo made about the IRS. I Own a 07 Rancher 420 and i love it, i just hope that maybe honda will make a kit so we could put the IRS on the 07 and 08 Ranchers

Old 12-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Red Rider

Beginning in mid year 08, universal frames started coming through with tabs so they can be either SRA or IRS. But, I doubt it would be economically worthwhile to convert, vs just getting a new one.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

ReconRanger, just wait, you will get old too. It's either get something comfortabe/less painful or quit riding. If it hurts, it ain't fun; I'm happy with my big bore-ing 700.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Red Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: tripleR

ReconRanger, just wait, you will get old too. It's either get something comfortabe/less painful or quit riding. If it hurts, it ain't fun; I'm happy with my big bore-ing 700.</end quote></div>

I was riding some tight, semi-technical woods trails in the local mountains a couple weekends ago. Came around a corner, and there was this guy standing in the trail. I could see his big Brute Force laying upside down off the side of the hill. The only thing stopping it from rolling a couple hundred yards down the hill, was the fact that it had smashed into a log.

He couldn't even manage to get it back upright, so I and another rider helped him and with lots and lots of effort we got it back up the hill and back onto the trail. Thing is, the trail was very off-camber! It was easy to see that the mushy suspension on the big BF was way way low on the downhill side and how he might have managed to roll it. When he got back on it to leave, it even looked like he might tumble it down the hill all over again.

Now, I have ridden my Rancher through that same trail section third gear pinned hundreds of times (was on a dirt bike that day), and never felt in danger of losing it off the edge because the downhill side dived. The big difference??? The stability of the two machines!!!

The cushiest suspension in the world, isn't any good if it gets you killed!

Old 12-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

ReconRanger, just wait, you will get old too. It's either get something comfortabe/less painful or quit riding. If it hurts, it ain't fun; I'm happy with my big bore-ing 700.</end quote></div>

I was riding some tight, semi-technical woods trails in the local mountains a couple weekends ago. Came around a corner, and there was this guy standing in the trail. I could see his big Brute Force laying upside down off the side of the hill. The only thing stopping it from rolling a couple hundred yards down the hill, was the fact that it had smashed into a log.

He couldn't even manage to get it back upright, so I and another rider helped him and with lots and lots of effort we got it back up the hill and back onto the trail. Thing is, the trail was very off-camber! It was easy to see that the mushy suspension on the big BF was way way low on the downhill side and how he might have managed to roll it. When he got back on it to leave, it even looked like he might tumble it down the hill all over again.

Now, I have ridden my Rancher through that same trail section third gear pinned hundreds of times (was on a dirt bike that day), and never felt in danger of losing it off the edge because the downhill side dived. The big difference??? The stability of the two machines!!!

The cushiest suspension in the world, isn't any good if it gets you killed!</end quote></div>

Old 12-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

The thing that has me interested in this bike is the tranny as I think there are alot of bikes that could bennifit from a dual clutch setup!

Old 12-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

ReconRanger, you miss my point. Firstly, I never disparage anyone's choice of ATV, age or economic status or much of anything else. I made no claims about the stability of my machine and in fact accept that it is not as stable as your bike. I knew what I was getting when I bought it as well as its limitations. The problem with the guy with the turned over Brute Force is that he was trying to do something he should have known his machine was not capable of doing or he was riding over his skill level or both. Many of us "aging baby boomers" have to have plush rides and I have to have EPS due to age and physical abilities/disabilities or we simply cannot ride. I have ridden motorcycles of all types for forty-three years and ATV's for thirty. I can no longer ride what I use to and my dirt bike will never be ridden again and maybe not even my Harley (never thought I would own a Harley either), so I had to choose what fit me best which is a 700 EPS IRS and I am happy with it. Regardless of stability issues, you will never find me turned over anywhere because I know my machine and my skill level and avoid such situations. While my motto as a young man was if you ain't crashing, you ain't having fun, it is closer to, "Oh hell no, I ain't gonna do that." Thankfully manufacturers make machines for all kinds of riders and while you may look down your nose at my choice of bike, it is the right one for me.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Red Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

The thing that has me interested in this bike is the tranny as I think there are alot of bikes that could bennifit from a dual clutch setup!</end quote></div>

One thing the review mentioned was that the transmission is on the heavy side.

To me, this tranny seem like it makes all other types of autos obsolete, and who knows maybe even foot shift manuals (????). They did also mention how it was thinner than a belt drive, so you don't end up with that ultra wide profile that messes up the ergonomics and makes you ride spread eagle. Also, no transfer case required, just a low first gear, although I got the impression they would prefer a lower first.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Red Rider

ReconRanger, you miss my point. Firstly, I never disparage anyone's choice of ATV, age or economic status or much of anything else. I made no claims about the stability of my machine and in fact accept that it is not as stable as your bike. I knew what I was getting when I bought it as well as its limitations. The problem with the guy with the turned over Brute Force is that he was trying to do something he should have known his machine was not capable of doing or he was riding over his skill level or both. Many of us "aging baby boomers" have to have plush rides and I have to have EPS due to age and physical abilities/disabilities or we simply cannot ride. I have ridden motorcycles of all types for forty-three years and ATV's for thirty. I can no longer ride what I use to and my dirt bike will never be ridden again and maybe not even my Harley (never thought I would own a Harley either), so I had to choose what fit me best which is a 700 EPS IRS and I am happy with it. Regardless of stability issues, you will never find me turned over anywhere because I know my machine and my skill level and avoid such situations. While my motto as a young man was if you ain't crashing, you ain't having fun, it is closer to, "Oh hell no, I ain't gonna do that." Thankfully manufacturers make machines for all kinds of riders and while you may look down your nose at my choice of bike, it is the right one for me.</end quote></div>

Sounds like you have a Rincon (??). One point you missed, is that your Rincon is a Honda, and I stressed that Honda has a different philosophy on IRS suspension from the other manufacturers who seem to all like big tall sloppy machines. So, I was making a general observation, that doesn't include the Rincon (you should list your rides in your signature!).

In fact, the last Rincon review I read said it was the best suspended machine out there! If they would only give it engine braking....

Quick Reply: Rancher 420AT Review