Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda 350 Rancher Starter rebuild

Old 02-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda 350 Rancher Starter rebuild

Has anyone ever done this before? How hard is it? My dads just clicks when you push the button on the starter, but you can hit the starter with a wrench and this will cause it to start. I was told this was the brushes have gone bad.

So I guess im gonna replace the brushes and was wondering if anyone has any pointers or tips.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Range Rover

mine did the same thing. I pulled it apart and all that was happening was a brush was stuck. I sprayed the brushes with pb blaster and put the motor back together and it works like new. The brushes were only half used up. I don't know where you can get parts for them though.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple,
Remove the starter and look on the sides of the starter motor case and cover. There are some alignment marks on it for assembly reference. Remove the 2 bolts with a 7mm socket. remove both end caps. Look at the magnetic fields in the case. They are set in deeper on one end than the other. When reassembling, make sure the armeture is in the starter the direction it was removed. Account for all spacer shims on both ends of the starter for reassembly. You will need to have a starter brush and brush plate to replace the bad ones. Remove the positive brush nut on the outside of the starter housing. (do not let this bolt spin as it will break a plastic insulator) Clean the armeture with emery cloth and install the brush plate once the positive brush has been installed. A small screwdriver may be needed to hold the brush springs out of the way to slip the brushes into their perspective holder. dab a little grease on the ends of the armeture where it spins inside it's case's bushings. The brush plate will line up with notches in the back cover, install spacers then depress the brushes and slip them over the end of the armeture. Install the nose cover and shims, align the case markings and install the 2 removed bolts.
Note when removing or installing the battery cable from the starter, use a back-up wrench on the lower starter cable nut so the trerminal woll not spin in the case and break the plastic insulator.

I will normally bench run the starter (clamp positive cable to the terminal and arc the grount to the starter case so you do not ruin the starter terminal threads from jumping the starter) to breal the brushes in

Nuther note, when cranking on the starter of the quad, allow twice as much cooling time on the starter as cranking time so brushes will not get hot and prematurely wear. Avoid battery chargers with boost mode and jump starting with a vehicle as the amps are too high and will pramaturely wear the brushes

----- Gimpster -----

Old 02-16-2009, 06:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds good and Im gonna give it a try as soon as the new brushes come in, thanks for the replies

Old 09-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a 86 honda 350 4 trac 4x4 and the starter is bad. I bought a new one but need to know how to get the old one out?

Old 09-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

it had real suspension and rode much better, but were problematic and recall (i mean major like engine\tran) ridden and discontinued after i think 1 year.