Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

How do I do a wheelie on my 400ex?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do I do a wheelie on my 400ex?

What gear should I use to get up and stay up? I tried it today, my first gear seems to have the torque, but not enough to go all the way up. And the other gears won't let me up in time. So what gear should I use and at what time should I accelerate and pull the handlebars? Oh yea and how much should I push the throttle down? I don't want to flip the bike on top of me.

Thanks in advance...

Old 04-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just never been able to do those "find the balance point, sit down and ride a wheelie all day" type of wheelies. Power wheelies on the other hand are easy for me on the 400EX. I like 2nd gear, and just punch it and yank the bars and she comes up pretty easy.

Some lower gearing might help? I put a 13t front sprocket on mine once, and I couldn't keep the front end on the ground!

Old 04-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Range Rover

Yes, balance point wheelies are hard, especially on a 2 stroke, but even on a smooth pulling 4 stroke. An easy way to do them if you are a bit careful is to stand with your feet on the rear wheelie/grab bar and pull up and push down with ur feet. I would be very careful with this b/c it shoots up like crazy. You have no back brake control to keep it safe either, so do this with caution.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Range Rover

it just takes practice....the grab bar should stop it from flipping all the way over on top of you.....mine does..lol. if you feel it going over just tap the rear brake and it will come back down.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer

try letting a little air out of your tires. streetbike style

Old 04-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Trailblazer
Default wheelie

lean back and give it gas

Old 04-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have mine in 2en or 3.one foot in grab bar,one covering the rear brake,make shure u have ur rear brake cover,cuz that the only thing going to bring u down,i learn that on street bikes to watchin videos on how to whellie.my 400 has lots of power with pipe jet kit air fliter my buddys quad wont go up good he has a stock 2000 i have a 2001 wit mods.so mods do help.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Trailblazer
Default slow wheelie

put it in first put ur left foot in the wheelie bar pop the clutch and bring it straight in the air and stop urself from goin back to far with the back brake

Old 04-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

i do it with my right foot in the grab bar if i do put my foot up. sitting doing a wheelie is much easier to balance but makes it harder to see. i never use my back brakes for wheelies even if i'm sitting, but if you put your left leg up like some people say you cant shift and i hate that when it starts to rev out and you have that good balance point... i can even ride wheelies forever on my honda rancher its just practice

Old 04-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

I found in my opinion that 2nd gear is a good gear to do wheelies in because in 1st gear, as soon as you start getting up you start topping out 1st gear and starting off doing wheelies, it would be harder to shift in the middle of a wheelie. Do what everyone has been saying and either put one foot on the grab bar or just sit and pull up as your hitting the gas and find that sweet balance point and if need be use your rear brakes to bring it back down. Just remember to be safe also!

Quick Reply: How do I do a wheelie on my 400ex?