Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

new tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new tires

I just put on some Carlisle ACTs and got rid of my worn out Maxxis Big Horns; my only regret is that the Big Horns lasted as long as they did.

I replace the Good Year Mud Runners I had with the Big Horns and couldn't have been happier due to the great improvement in the ride; those Goodyear’s were as hard as a rock.

One thing that did surprise me was the Big Horns were a better snow tire than the Goodyear’s but the Big Horns loved to slide and drift in corners and I always felt that they liked to slide down hill when traversing side hills, not good.

I can't believe how much better the ACTs handle on the trails especially cornering at higher speeds.

We spent a lot of time in the snow today and they ACTs did just fine, they actually did a lot better than I had expected.

Overall I feel that the Carlisle ACTs are a big improvement over the Maxxis Big Horns in overall trail riding and handling.

JMO

Old 01-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem everybody around here is finding out about the Big Horns. Sideways slide on slick rock and trails. If you are after a radial, most are going to Terra-Cross, if not a raidial most are using Mud Lites or Bearclaws.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

I never realized that the Big Horns handled as bad as they did until yesterday.

They were good snow tires but other than that I would never recommend them to anyone.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

I think the Big Horn tires are great for wear and would be great for running around in the desert, but no good at all in mountains where you encounter alot of wet side hills and wet rocks around creek crossings and springs.

The Terra Cross may not be the longest lasting tires, but they have excellent grip on wet surfaces and in snow, DUE to the softer tread.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

I got about 6000 miles out of my Big Horns and was told to expect less from my ACTs.

So far I think it's going to be a worthwhile trade.

Three or four of my friends put Big Horns on their ATVs due to my recommendation; I thought that they were great tires.

Now I feel like I cheated my friends because they are going to live with them for several more years. LOL

Old 01-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I guess I've never encountered them sliding on side hills, and have found they handle well and grip predictably...

They seem to be the tire of choice around southern Arizona. People run all kinds of stuff in Northern Oregon, which tends to be wetter and muddier, but I've been happy with the bighorns there too.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

Big Horns are the #1 choice here too, but I'm sure that will change. I'm sure that I am not the only one who will see and feel the difference once they purchase a different tire.

The very first ride when I put on the Big Horns the ATV liked to slide in corners a lot more than it did with the Mud Runners; I just figured that it was the radials vs bias ply.

My new tires are radials and they don't slide in the corners like the Big Horns did and I never realized just how bad the Big Horns handled until we rode Sunday.

I always thought that I was very pleased with my Big Horns and recommended them to my friends and several of them bought them off my recommendation.

Overall handling has improved a lot.

A very good friend recommended the ACTs.

He is fortunate that he is in the position that he can take 3-4 different tires and go ride, come back, change to a different set, ride and compare right now.

He gets to see right now the difference from one brand to another. I know there are more aggressive tires but this time around I'll take the handling and the ACTs performed great in the snow. We have very little mud here, not enough to affect a tire purchase.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

We went for a great ride today.

I used to think that my Big Horns were the ultimate snow tires but I now doubt that too.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

The more we ride the more impressed I am with these tires.

2 thumbs up for the Carlisle ACTs.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer

I honestly must say this is the first negative post I have ever read about big horns other then price. Most find them to grip very well on trail rides and rock and offer incredible traction. Very surprised to hear this. Could it possible be that you were getting used to a very worn set of tires. 6K miles is a lot of miles on an ATV tire and you are comparing them to a brand new set. Just a thought

Quick Reply: new tires