Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1997 TRX 300 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 TRX 300 4x4

I recently bought a 97 trx 300. I couldn't be happier with this machine so far. I do have one question, how do you adjust the front and rear brakes on this machine correctly? The handle bar levers have quite a bit of play in them along with the foot brake. I don't have access to the machine right now so can someone tell me which brake lever is the front and which one is the rear? Sorry for the probably simple question.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

The right lever is the front brakes, the foot lever is the rear, and the left lever is the rear parking brake if you push the metal button and then pull the lever. But all the brakes on that bike are hydraulic and there is no adjustment. Unless of course your fluid is low. But the fluid shouldn't be low unless your pads are worn out. It could be that the caliper pistons are frozen if it sat for a while. The best thing you can do is to get either a Clymer servicxe manual or an authentic Honda service manual for your bike.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the forums! those trx 300's were the best selling 4 wheelers on the planet, until the rancher replaced it and passed them in sales. a very solid machine. hopefully its a simple fix for your brakes. keep us posted!

Old 06-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

Hey 1997xltlimited, my information may be wrong. I was thinking you had a TRX300EX. I don't know anything about the brakes on the 300 4x4. Sorry. I misread the title.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did check the break fluid and it was full. I am assuming the rear gets adjusted from the back it looks to be some type of wing nut system? But have no idea on the front?

Old 06-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

I can only tell you that on a 300ex, the wing nut adjusts the rear brake, both parking and foot braking. You should take one of the front brakes off and the rear off and see if they have any life left.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by budedm
I can only tell you that on a 300ex, the wing nut adjusts the rear brake, both parking and foot braking. You should take one of the front brakes off and the rear off and see if they have any life left.

I tried to turn those wing nuts when I was home last but it seemed to turn the whole cable. Is there a trick to do this procedure.

I plan on taking the brakes apart this weekend just trying to get some ideas on what to look for.. They might just be shot not sure. I do know the rear brakes were new last fall that I am positive on.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you have drum brakes like on my wife's 200sx. The wingnut has a radius cut into it that sets on a cylindrical thing. Ever half turn of the wing nut, it sets back onto the cylinder thing. You may need some WD-40 or PB Blaster to free things up and maybe hold the cable carefully with pliers. Disk brakes can get worn out in a day or two of mud riding but drum brakes last a lot longer because they are protected. If it's a drum, it shouldn't be worn out yet, but drum brakes on the rear are a mega pain to get off.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah It does have drum brakes...

Old 06-27-2009, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 1997 TRX 300 4x4

Originally Posted by 1997xltlimited
I recently bought a 97 trx 300. I couldn't be happier with this machine so far. I do have one question , how do you adjust the front and rear brakes on this machine correctly? The handle bar levers have quite a bit of play in them along with the foot brake. I don't have access to the machine right now so can someone tell me which brake lever is the front and which one is the rear? Sorry for the probably simple question.
If i'm not mistaken the front brakes are hydrolic and the rear brake is Machanical the right hand brakes lever is hydrolic ; the rear hand brake lever has a cable that work's the rear brake and is also used as a parking brake !

The foot brake lever has a brake cable these two cable's are routed and connect's together for the rear brake , there a wing nut that connect's to a lever on the backing plate and the lever is connected to a splined shaft that come's out of the rear backing plate ; there are some mark's on the backing plate with minimum / maximum stamped on backing plate .

You turn the wing nut to adjust the rear brake shoe's this will adjust the foot brake cable ( if you turn to wing nut to the maximum mark ) and still no brake's your brake shoe's need to be replaced , there's also an adjuster on the handle bar cable ( left side hand brake lever you must slide the rubber boot cover to access the adjustment for this cable ; but again if the rear brake shoe's need replacing these adjustment's won't work !

The front brake's can be adjusted like automotive brake shoe's you can either remove the front hub's and turn the adjuster's by using pyler's to turn the adjuster wheel , or you can remove the rubber plug's on the back of the backing plate and use a brake spoon the same way you adjust the brake's on a car or truck equiped with drum brake's ; i hope this help's and welcome to the forums .

williebee............

Quick Reply: 1997 TRX 300 4x4